This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Customized Views in Orion Network Performance Monitor

I am using Orion Network Performance Monitor (Version 8.5), for considerably big network. Current view is "Vendor" but I want to view the devices in groups by layer like...

- Internet Layer

- DMZ Layer

- Core Layer

- Distribution Layer

- Access layer

- Wireless Network

Can someone help me creating these customized groups??

• Do you use custom properties on the devices?????

If so you could set up the custom property called layer and give them the appropriate tab, then you be able to sort them by the custom property.  Would need a little more work, but it can be done.

Is there some reason why you are runnign such an old version of NPM?

Si

• Dear Simon,

Thanks for your response. No. we are not using custom properties otherwise we could have used the "Location" view which is there in NPM. In fact there are some 350+ devices and it is really time taking to configure custom properties on each device.

In fact we are consultant company and currently doing a Network Optimization Consultancy project of a big institute. They are currently Orion NPM 8.5 but I will for sure recommend latest version of Solarwinds to them in my report.

Anyways, thanks of your support and will appreciate if you share any other solution.

• Do the devices that are in each of your 'Layers' have unique parts to their names?  if so you could use and update query within the Solarwinds database.

I know its not the 'Done thing', but you could create the custom property from the NPM webconsole and then run some update query similar to:

Update nodes

Set <Custom_field_name>=<Layer_Name>

where caption like'%<unique_part_of_device_name>%'

of course this relies on the fact that all of your devices in each layer have unique parts to their names, or some other field that is within the nodes table.

Usually if I'm goign to run an update script, I first run it as a select query to make sure I only see the devices that i want tot update, so the above would be:

Select * from nodes where caption like '%<unique_part_of_device_name>%'

this will allow you to check that the nodes that will be update only contain those nodes you want to update

Hope this helps, sorry If I'm telling you stuff you already know

Reagrds

Simon

• Dear Simon,

Your TIP is really help full and I am able to find the table and column to edit as below...

Database: NetPerfMon

Table: Dbo.Nodes

Column: Location

When I edit the data in Location column as per my requirements, it reflects in NPM Manager and I can sort the View based on my requirements.

Now the issue I am facing is, when system refreshes the "Node Tree" it populates the Location column again with the data coming through SNMP from devices.

Any suggestions??

BR

Arshi

• The Location field is a value that is gained from direct polling.  Any manual editing of this field will (as you have found) be overwritten on the next poll.

You should be looking for a custom property (usually to the far right of the nodes table) that is not directly polled.

• Create a Custom field called Layer and populate that

then it wont be update by the information about loaction when the devfice is polled.

In the webconsole, go to settings and under 'Nodes& Group Management' you should see manage custom properties, select that

from there you can add a new custom property, select Nodes and then name the property and select the necessary values for it.  Then you can use this custom property you have created for your Layer information

• Dear Simon,

I am really grateful to you for giving me this TIP of editing the database. That really worked for me.

I am also grateful to Stuart for giving aTIP of column to edit.

Best regards to both of you.

Arshi