This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom poller for Cisco 6509-E VSS chassis status

Hi

I am tasked with setting up monitoring for a VSS 1440 running on two 6509-E's.
One thing we want to monitor is what states the two SUPs are in, standalone, active or standby. Basically, I can get away with alerting if the status changes, because..it should not.

My issues is two fold:

1. I need to set up a custom poller (I would think..)
2. I need to create an alert that will poll this VSS device, then trigger an alert should a change occur..and the it would of course be nice to get a notification somewhere about what changed, and to what.

So far I have done this:

I created a custom poller based on this information:

Object cvsChassisRole
OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.388.1.2.2.1.2
Type VSSwitchRole
1:standalone
2:active
3:standby

I chose MIB value RAW Value, Format enumeration (even mapped the numbers to descriptive text), Get Table and polling type Node. I then assign this to my VSS. Run a test, and it replies 2,3. The numbers I was expecting, SUP1 is active, SUP2 is standby. So far so good(?). For some reason using interface names when polling a node status seems wrong so I chose to use labels the table. I can choose between csvChassisSwitchID, csvChassisRole and csvChassisUpTime. I choose ChassisRole..I then add this to the Node Details as a table.
I think this is the custom poller taken care of, but please correct me if I am wrong..
I have experimented creating an alert for this, but I ran into so many questions right away that I am not sure the alert does half of what I need.
I know this is a lot of info, but bear with me..
The alert I configured is this:

Type of Property to Monitor: Custom Node Poller
Trigger Alert when all of the following apply:
Poller Name is equal to cvsChassisRole
- Trigger Alert when all of the following apply
-- Row ID is equal to 1 (here I can select from a bunch of values, none of which are "1")
-- Numeric Status is not equal to 2
- Trigger Alert when all of the following apply
-- Row ID is equal to 2
-- Numeric Status is not equal to 2

This set up however, when tested, gives me the following response (with errors):
Initiating test for alert VSS Failover Status Change.
Retrieved 1 actions for alert VSS Failover Status Change.
Preparing action type NPMEventLog to test alert VSS Failover Status Change.
Alert VSS Failover Status Change: NetObjectID('9b0e5833-d2d4-484c-a19e-247e47874ea8') is not numeric.
Alert VSS Failover Status Change: successfully wrote to event log. <random test message>
Action type NPMEventLog for alert VSS Failover Status Change completed successfully.
Completed action type NPMEventLog for alert VSS Failover Status Change.
Completed test for alert VSS Failover Status Change.

Anyone who can help? I will open a ticket with support as well..I will run into this issue on other virtual units as well..