This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom Property - can you rename a custom property?

We have created a few custom properties in the past and have populated them with lots of information.  We're now looking to add additional custom properties, but have found that our old naming scheme wasn't the best and would like to rename some of our existing custom properties to have them fit better with our expansion.

Is there a way to rename custom properties without deleting them?  As mentioned, we have a ton of info already populated, so renaming is far preferred to deleting and re-adding.

Thanks

Chris

• Chris,

I concur that it'd be nice if we could simply rename the field to something else that suits better the contents.  Yet, the Custom Property Editor tool does not allow you to rename the title -- at least not yet.  However, you could do the following:

1.) Create a new field, with the name you desire to use

2.) Use the Copy & Paste feature to populate the entire contents of the new field with the contents of the old field.

3.) Confirm that the Copy & Paste process went OK

4.) Delete the old field once you're satisfied with the new field's contents.

The above process should let you have what you want even if it takes a few more clicks.  I hope this helps you with this issue. 

• Simple solution and easily overlooked :)

To note, I had to right click and choose Copy, rather than Ctrl-C, as for some reason it wasn't working for me.  Once I had that down, the contents copied without issue.  This seems to be an issue I run into from time to time, for anyone else having problems with Copy/Paste.

Thanks

Chris

• This answer is pretty old but I have a question about that.

I see it isnt a problem to create a new custom property and copy/paste the values.

BUT when I used the old custom property for grouping, alerts or so on I have to change this everywhere manually. Or is there a way that I can replace this easier?

• And I've got custom properties that I need to rename for 1500 devices or so.

Mainly - a custom property of "Address" is up at the top alphabetically --- but City, State, etc. are way down the list - and frankly it's illogical to do something like that - so I'm going to have to create a property "Site-Address", "Site-City", "Site-State" so all the pertinent information is together, logically.

Basically, it would be nice to be able to rename the custom property, but it would also be nice to put them in the order you want, not only alphabetically.