cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Custom Poller for CDP Neighbors wanted

Jump to solution

I wish (after all it is Christmas soon) that someone could make a custom poller to show Cisco CDP neighbors.

Things that would be nice to have included:

• Name of all neighbors
  • IP address of all neighbors
  • Local interface the each neighbor uses
  • Remote interface each neighbor is connected with
  • Model (type) of all neighbors
  • If possible, the time the neighbor was discovered?

I tried to make one myself, but encountered 2 problems: I was able to only poll the first (of several) neighbors, and I couldn't find a way to poll the local interface the neighbors were connected to.

I hope this is possible to make custom, or is it something Solarwinds themselves are implementing in Orion as we speak? 🙂

Thanks,
Oystein Gasdal
Norway

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 8

I ran into this myself. I know a little bit about SQL so I created a custom trigger on table update. It queries the existing table, if the entry already exists (and it might) then exit and let the normal process occur. If not, then send an e-mail to a user group. (I am leaving a few steps out)  The report looks like this:

First Discovery(GMT):    Aug 10 2009  8:12PM

Last Discovery(GMT):    Aug 10 2009  8:12PM

System:            xxx.xxx.com

System Interface:  FastEthernet0/2

NEW Device Name:         0011885776ac

NEW Device Port:         fe.1.21

NEW Device Platform:     SecureStack A2

NEW Device IP Address:   192.168.1.211

I tried doing this post entry to avoid error problems, but was not able to do the check on existing option, the table changes frequently for many reasons.  This method also has downsides whereas it modifies the workings of Cirrus and you need to inventory often.  I am looking at the syslog option now.

My Infosec team loves this option, wish it was native

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Level 8

I ran into this myself. I know a little bit about SQL so I created a custom trigger on table update. It queries the existing table, if the entry already exists (and it might) then exit and let the normal process occur. If not, then send an e-mail to a user group. (I am leaving a few steps out)  The report looks like this:

First Discovery(GMT):    Aug 10 2009  8:12PM

Last Discovery(GMT):    Aug 10 2009  8:12PM

System:            xxx.xxx.com

System Interface:  FastEthernet0/2

NEW Device Name:         0011885776ac

NEW Device Port:         fe.1.21

NEW Device Platform:     SecureStack A2

NEW Device IP Address:   192.168.1.211

I tried doing this post entry to avoid error problems, but was not able to do the check on existing option, the table changes frequently for many reasons.  This method also has downsides whereas it modifies the workings of Cirrus and you need to inventory often.  I am looking at the syslog option now.

My Infosec team loves this option, wish it was native

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

If you have a look in the Content Exchange someone has kindly created a UnDP for CDP neighbours.

0 Kudos
Level 12

That should be pretty easy to do via PHP (http://php.net/snmp). I'm sure once you have a page/script written you could incorporate the information easily.

OID: .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.23.1.2.1

0 Kudos
Level 13

At the moment Orion does not support the polling of MIB tables which it soundlike the CDP info is in, it's a much requested feature that I'm sure Solarwinds are working hard on for its customers.

Sorry for the bad news before Christmas.

0 Kudos

Custom Polling of MIB tables is one of the major features of the next relesae.

0 Kudos

Do we have any time schedule for the next release at all?

Thanks

0 Kudos

It'll be in the first half of next year.  I'll be able to provide more detail as we get closer.

0 Kudos

Kiwi Catools has a nifty CDP neighbor query that formats everything quite nicely for Excel.