This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom Poller Table Alerting

I am trying desperately to configure an alert based upon the received value of a custom poller.  My devices have two power supplies in them and I am polling the table:

CISCO-ENVMON-MIB:ciscoEnvMonSupplyStatusTable

OID:    1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.5

Access:    Not-Accessible

Type:    Sequence of SEQUENCE

The table of power supply status maintained by the

environmental monitor card.

I am enumerating the responses (1=OK, 6=FAULTY). I've tried configuring both a Custom Node Table Poller and a Custom Node Poller with the following trigger:

Poller Name is equal to ciscoEnvMonSupplyState

AND

Value is equal to FAULTY

I have tried several permutations of this alert, trying different triggers, but nothing works, or works reliably.  Occasionally, I see one or two devices pop up in the Triggered Alerts console, but they disappear almost immediately, never staying posted in the console.  A Custom Node Poller seems to at least trigger the alert, but only for one or two devices - not the 4 or 5 that I know would trigger the alert.  What am I doing wrong here?

• Hi,

I have exactly the same issue with the same Custom Table Poller... :-)

I also do not get this to work.

My Trigger Condition is...

Poller Name is equal to ciscoEnvMonSupplyState

AND

Condition Group when "ALL" apply

- VALUE is not equal to normal

- VALUE is not equal to not present

I can not get the alert to be triggered correctly even for a few Switches the criteria is met.

I have opened a case.

Regards,

Mario

• bleearg13,

In your case it propably didn't worked because of "Value is equal to FAULTY". UnDP normally return 1 or 6(number).

- You can verify what device return in UnDP application:

UnDPvalues.png

- To fix it use condition "Value is equal to 6".

- Other option is to edit UnDP and in Advanced Options select Format - Enumeration. Click Map Values and fill table.

- Also for simple condition when you select column (for exaple Value) after you click on right side star it will offer dropdown menu with real values already polled from device. Just wait for polling interval (default 10 minutes)

Roman

• MaGa79,

if you open UnDP application there are Example pollers, but they doesn't have set the Enumeration for "ciscoEnvMonSupplyState"

Configure enumeration here:

UnDPMapValues.png

Values for enumeration are here:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en&translate=Translate&objectInput=ciscoEnvMonSupplyState

Roman

• Sorry for the late response on this.  I have tried using both the enumerated text value and the Raw Value and neither works.

• I've already said that I have actually tried both ways - setting the numeric value and setting the enumerated value and neither works reliably.  I cannot seem to get alerting working for any custom pollers at all and it's very frustrating.  What happens is this:  I can see in the Alert Manager "Active Alerts" window that the triggered alerts appear, but then they almost immediately disappear.  It happens on every custom poller alert I create and I cannot figure out what it is I am doing wrong.  It's not an issue of enumeration because like I said, I can see the triggered alerts, but only briefly.

• When alerting is not working for Custom Table Poller it's usually because the Label is not set. Select the poller in UnDP application in All Defined Pollers tree and check the Label Type.

undp.PNG

In case the alert is triggered, but it's reset immediately, check the reset condition.

If you think this is a bug please open a support ticket, attach diagnostics and give me the ticket number so I can look deeper .

• I opened case #694985 and found that the support tech created the same poller, and it worked, but he used the 'Interface names from Orion' option, while I had set the label to use a different column in the table.  I ended up changing it to 'Interface' and the alert started working.  Thanks for this!  Do you think this is a bug or is this by "design"?

• If your custom poller with different column as Label and also alert are well configured, so it should work. I've checked your case but diagnostics were not uploaded and also other files were sent to personal email so I have nothing in my hands.

Anyway, this feature is widely used by our customers and as far as I know it works for them.