cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Creating custom MIB pollers

Hello,

I am trying to create a custom poller to monitor a private MIB on a device not currently included in the SW MIB database. It is a rather large MIB and I want to monitor a large portion of that MIB. Is there a faster way to create a custom poller than selecting every OID. I want to monitor the link state, interface name, interface description, etc. on an 6 module IMC iMedia Chassis. Each module has 3 interfaces so at a minimuim I need to monitor 54 OIDs.

I noticed there is the option to import from a custom poller file. Is there any way to create one of these files from the engineers toolset?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 19

You create custom poller files in Orion.  It can't be done in Toolset. 

0 Kudos

You create custom poller files in Orion.  It can't be done in Toolset. 

I also would like to build custom pollers for Avaya equipment.  Avaya has provided their MIBs in '.txt' format.  How can these be loaded into Orion?

0 Kudos

You don't need the MIBs, just the OID.  I suggest you watch this tutorial--it would be 10 minutes well-invested:

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/tutorials.aspx

0 Kudos

You don't need the MIBs, just the OID.  I suggest you watch this tutorial--it would be 10 minutes well-invested:

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/tutorials.aspx

Thank you Denny.  I viewed the tutorial and it helped me a little...  However, there are several new MIBs distributed for their new servers and gateways.  They have ".txt" and ".mib" extensions.  Is it possible to load these into Orion.

Thanks again

0 Kudos

You do not need to load the MIBs into Orion.  The only information you need to add the OID into the Custom MIB Poller wizard.  If you feel that you want the MIBs in our database, you can submit those files to Support.  It'll take a while to get them into the database.  You can just add the OID to the Custom MIB Poller wizard right away.

0 Kudos

Hi Denny,

We have some Redline An80i broadband radios I would like to monitor. The OID I'm being provided with from Redline is 1.3.6.1.4.1.10728.2.10.2.2.3.1.13 but I cannot find this in the database so I am getting an unsupported OID error. I watched the tutorial and the version is older than what we are using so needless to say I am lost. Can you help?

Ben

0 Kudos

Where or at what point are you seeing the "unsupported OID error"?

0 Kudos

I'm having the same situation with a VOIP OID. When you try to create a new Universal Device Poller --> Browse MIB Tree,  then you select your device and lookup for the OID and click the "Test" button, I'm getting "The OID is not supported" error.   CISCO already gave me the OID and MIB, but I could not find a way to load the MIB so the OID can be used.

0 Kudos

You don't need to load the MIB, if you have the OID just copy it in, select and device and test

0 Kudos