This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Creating an Alert for a Custom MIB

I have a custom MIB for monitoring ESX VMFS disk space.  It successfully returns the percentage of disk space used on the VMFS volume, but I don't understand how I can create an alert on this.  I can create an Advanced Alert with a Trigger Condition that says if the Poller Name is equal to VMFS_Space (my custom MIB name), but how do I set the criteria that says if it goes above 80% send me an alert?

• Never mind.  I already figured it out.  I added a complex condition that said if the Status is greater thank or equal to 80%.  I think that is going to do the trick.  I will be testing it tomorrow.

•  I am new to SolarWinds and to creating custom MIB's. Can anyone provide me with a little instruction as howto get my feet off the ground.

Like many others I need to monitor the VMFS's on my ESX servers. How would I go about doing that. At present, SolarWinds only see's the native drives.

Thanks,

Jeff Timmerman

jeffrey_timmerman@hotmail.com

• Yes, you will need to create a custom mib poller.I believe the ESX OIDs you need are 1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.3.2.3 for mem avail and 1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.3.2.1 for mem size but don't quote me on that.

You can see this thread (further down for the instructions on creating MIBs) and I suggest viewing this -Create a Universal Device Poller (UnDP) in the Orion Platform - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

to get you in the right direction.

• Step 1) Create a script that produces the numeric response you are seeking.  I called mine vmfsspace.specific.  I actually found it online by Googling it. 

This may help:  

Place the script somewhere logical like /usr/sbin/vmfsspace.specific

Give the file execute permissions (chmod 777 /usr/sbin/vmfsspace.specific)

Step 2) Edit /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf and add a line like this to execute the script:

exec .1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.99999.2.1 vmfsspace /usr/sbin/vmfsspace.specific storage1

Note: the script in the above example assumes you are using ESX3

Run: service snmpd restart

Step 3) Create a custom MIB poller in solarwinds that polls the host with your script using the MIB number you made up for your script.  However, you don't use the exact MIB.  Instead you add .101 onto the end.

In the above example, the MIB number becomes 1.3.6.1.4.1.6876.99999.2.1.101 in Solarwinds.  Click the Browse button next to the MIB box and then type in the MIB manually.  Click test with Get Next Request and make sure you get a response.

Make the results a MIB Value Type: Rate, not Counter or Raw Value.  I put % for the Unit and timeframe is none.  I do not keep historical stats.

Once the custom MIB poller is created for that one host you can add it to other hosts as well. You will have to put the script on each host and add the line to the snmpd.conf file.  You will also have to do a service snmpd restart for the changes to take effect.

• i realy don't know much about this site so i want you to tell me something about this site

mcphill bruce

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mcphillbruce1189
    i realy don't know much about this site so i want you to tell me something about this site

I'm sure the community will be happy to help, but you'll need to be more specific about what you'd like to know.