cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Creating Pollers

Jump to solution

With some assistance from support I managed to create a specific poller for a specific device which wasn't happy with the standard cpu & memory poller.

However, we've now discovered another device that isn't happy with the standard cpu & mem poller - a FortiAnalyzer. Now, I can use snmp walk and scan the device for its OIDs but no matter which of these I use in the create poller section I get an erros that says: "The selected OID is not supported. Browse the available OIDs or manually add ine and poll its value from the current node" - it also has a link to this - which is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Now, not sure if it's relevant but we have multiple pollers and the devcie in question sits on one of the APEs. From the NPM box I can't snmp walk the device but I can from the same APE that it is polled from. I have also tried to add the poller from that APE with no success. Finally I have tried to manually add an OID and get no results back.

What am I missing / doing wrong please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 12

So, to answer my own query... after much poking it appears that if I go to 'add a manually defined OID' I then need to add a .1 to the end to get a result back.

Simple, I guess, once you know.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 12

So, to answer my own query... after much poking it appears that if I go to 'add a manually defined OID' I then need to add a .1 to the end to get a result back.

Simple, I guess, once you know.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Ah yeah, that's right. I ended up adding .0 to the end of some of mine to get them working.

Glad you got it working!

Either an OID works or it doesn't. It's not about the way you add it in. You can't make an OID work if the device doesn't support it. Unfortunately you have to step through all the MIB's to find one that give you what you're looking for.

This may help you

Free FORTINET-FORTIANALYZER-MIB SNMP MIB Download - Free MIB Download - Search MIBs - OiDViEW

I hear what you say - but I'mn only trying to enter the OID as discovered during an SNMP walk and not some random Googled variant...

0 Kudos

When you ran the Orion SNMP walk tool on the device, in the result file did it actually have a result or value on the OID line of the OID you are wanting to use or was it blank?  If it was blank most likely it did not work, hence when you try to test it against your node you get an unsupported error.

0 Kudos

Other possibility is that you need to change the method between get, get next, get table, and when you change those it sometimes requires you to tweak the OID and takes some poking around to determine exactly the correct way to structure an SNMP request for custom cpu/mem pollers sometimes.

Got a screenshot of the results of the snmpwalk showing this oid and the way you have the poller set up in the gui that we can refer to?

- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos

That's just the thing - I can't set it up in the GUI as it doesn't recognise the OID.

Initially I had tried the various get, get next, table options when trying to add OIDs that I'd gone looking for (rather than via an SBNMP walk). I tried options like removing (or adding) trailing points (dots / stops) - removing the last digit - adding a point at the start.

Running SNMP checker against the device throws up, 859 OIDs found.

pastedImage_0.png

Once example result is:   .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.3.1 = STRING: "Physical Memory"

If I also run pollerchecker, I get one result against memory that is green and includes the above OID. If I now try to add that OID via the GUI (having removed the leading dot and trailing .3) I get:

pastedImage_1.png

Now if I tick that box and click submit I get:

pastedImage_3.png
At this stage I then tried adding it... so if I'm doing thsi wrong hopefully you can spot what from the above and advise?
Thank you.
0 Kudos