This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Creating Alerts for nodes within a group

I am trying to limit my current Alerts to nodes within a group.  

Unfortunitly, when I go to create a "group" alert, there is no option to create a scope of nodes within that group.  Thus I cannot create node based alerts for "High Packet Loss", "Computer Reboot", etc.

We have 9 locations and construction sites within each location that only specific people need to be alerted on.  Managing the alerts node by node is a non starter as nodes change constently and I don't want to add a node to an alert everytime one is added/removed.

Does anyone have an idea how to do this?

• I haven't seen a good way to do it as a Node, so I use a Custom SWQL when I need this type of alert.

When you select that it starts you off with a query like this:

Select Nodes.URI, Nodes.DisplayName
    From Orion.Nodes as Nodes 

Then in the lower box I would add

inner join Orion.ContainerMemberSnapshots CMS on CMS.EntityID = Nodes.NodeID
    inner join Orion.groups G on G.ContainerID=CMS.ContainerID
    Where G.Name like 'GroupName' and Nodes.StatusDescription not like '%Up%'

Update Where C.Name like 'GroupName' to the Group Name that you are looking for.

And you will want to customize the last condition (and Nodes.StatusDescription is not 'Up') to your alert trigger. @ me if you have issues.

• Can custom properies be used or is that more in a reporting/muting alerts sense? 

The status up/down is easy to do because I just create an alert that warns me if the status of the group folder has changed.  but creating something for reboots/packet loss is so much more difficult then it should be. 

• Hi! I've recently taken on (nearly) the exact same task and have found somewhat of a workaround to alert on a subset of nodes within groups. I've found that the "Comments" field in the custom properties has been very helpful for this.

In Orion go to Settings > All Settings, Manage Custom Properties > Add Custom Property. From here you can define a comment, which can be used in the alert definition field. Applying comments to multple nodes is extremely easy using the "add custom property" command. You can sort by Group and select multiple nodes to write to at the same time. Once you have a template you could copy it and make similar alerts for packet loss, reboot, etc. - all of which could use the same comment field. Hope this helps!

Side note*, I tried to upload an image but unfortunately that option is bugged currently. NewThawckThingsTM :robotvery-happy:

• This is always the first thing I trained people on when I was consulting.  You cannot use groups for almost anything useful that you think you would use them for in Orion.  Don't even try.

Start from custom properties, tag the objects with whatever attributes you think you would need later for all of your sorting, dashboarding, alerting, or reporting requirements.  Then after the properties are created you could build groups that are based on the properties, but ALWAYS start with the property first because it makes everything easier later.

• Custom properties are excellent advice. Much more flexible, and they can drive the group membership.

• Dang!  That image would be helpful =)  Ill test it out and if I have a question, can I reach out?

• Please do,  if you need to get my attention

• Absolutely ! I'm in Thwack daily - just message if I can help further :robothappy:

-