This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Create an Alert when WAN routers suffer Packet losses on interfaces

Is there a way to create an alert that will notify when a WAN router is suffering interface errors or packet loss? I been having issues with my WAN circuits lately and looking to see if I can be notified when this happens before the end users notice.

• Yes, you should be able to do that. It would boil down to 2 alerts, one for packet loss (node) and another for errors/discards(interface).

On the alert itself you'd modify the Trigger Conditions. I took a screenshot from my Orion alert for packet loss.

1. The scope of the alert. This is where you could refine what nodes are included or excluded. In my example I have a Custom Property assigned to my nodes called 'SendAlertNode' and only nodes that have marked as 'Yes' use the alert. So you could create a Node and Interface Custom Property like "WANRouterNode" and "WANRouterInterface" with a yes/no. These are just examples, you can call them whichever works best for you.

2. These are the conditions that have to be met for the alert to trigger. I'm not a huge fan of setting hard-coded thresholds in the alert so I set i to specifically reference whatever threshold is set for the note. I outlined that process more in this link: Modify Alerts To Be Smarter With Node Thresholds

2017-06-20 15_05_42-Edit Alert - _ SMS_Slack Alert me of Packet Loss (custom)_.png

Once those are in place it would allow you get alerts for just your WAN routers for packet loss and errors/discards.