cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Create a Fake Node with Fake Interfaces

Jump to solution

I am looking for a way to create about 1000 fake interfaces so that I can track some unassigned custom properties

I had considered temporarily monitoring a device on and then leaving down but that would only get me the number of interfaces on the device

Labels (2)
1 Solution

You could create a VM, and then create lots of subinterfaces or virtual interfaces, then monitoring that?

View solution in original post

6 Replies

I use GNS3 almost daily and didn't even think about it.

Ignore my suggestion and use GNS

Level 16

You could use GN3 to do this as well Free GNS3 Network Emulator l SolarWinds

i agree neomatrix1217

dsjaoui​ use the Free GNS3 Network Emulator l SolarWinds

it can be really helpful.

0 Kudos

You could create a VM, and then create lots of subinterfaces or virtual interfaces, then monitoring that?

View solution in original post

I once did this to populate a system that needed to temporarily monitor hundreds of nodes it couldn't yet reach:  add secondary IP addresses on my SolarWinds server's NIC for each and every node I wanted to add, they then became reachable, and I was able to add them.  Later I converted to SNMP-monitored via database changes en masse.  Had to remove the hundreds of secondary IP addresses on the poller's NIC when I was done.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestions! I looked into GNS3 but the images that were available didn't scale to the quantity I wanted

ended up using a CentOS Linux VM and doing something like the following:

modprobe -a dummy

for ip in {001..999}; do ip li add eth$ip type dummy; done

0 Kudos