cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Convert Trap to Alert?

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to convert an SNMP Trap to a Solarwinds Alert? 

We have 9.1 SP3 and are already using extensive Advanced Alerts to send emails, but I'd like to add online alert management (so an Operator can acknowledge the alerts).  This functionality is working already, but we also have SNMP Traps that come in to the server from other sources, and there is no way to acknowldge them or clear them from the view.

For example, I have an automated file transfer process that, when it fails, sends a Trap to the Solarwinds console.  This trap shows up in the Trap Summary, but it's completely static. 

If I can get this to become an Alert, then it will show up in the Alert screen and then the Operator can acknowledge them... plus they'll only have to watch one screen instead of two.

It looks like there is built-in functionality to turn Alerts in to Traps, but not the other way around.

Is there a way to use the "trap rule" function in the Trap Viewer to inject alerts in to Solarwinds? 

Does anyone out there know of a way to make this work? 

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Level 16

One workaround I used was fronting NPM with Kiwi and converting the traps to syslogs and then forwarding on to NPM's sylsog engine.

Not a great solution but it worked.

0 Kudos
Level 11

Hey any one can reply on this article for refundency?

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-201947/edit

0 Kudos
Level 7

Is this ever gonna happen?

0 Kudos
Level 16

looking forward to the invitation ..10 years .?

Please solarwinds we still looking for that  Snmp trap support

Level 11

I created an idea/feature request for this topic and hope it covers most of the needs also covered in this post?

A lot of people seem to want this and also most competitive products support propper Trap handling:

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/3580

Please vote!

How do I vote?

0 Kudos

Hey carlton.patterson@matthey.com,

Once an idea is in What We're Working On stage, you can no longer vote on it.

0 Kudos
Level 12

I've just been asked this question by one of our network team & came to Thwack looking for answers...

Got in touch with my Solarwinds rep as well & the tech team there pointed me to this - can't say for sure that this is an integral part of the NPM suite, but I believe so

http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/SolarWinds/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#context=SolarW...

Actually the conversation here is about alerting through the Advanced Alert manager rather than using the Trap Alert manager.  There is much more flexibility in the Advanced Alert manager than the Trap Alert manager.

This still does need to be addressed and for some reason SolarWinds seems to be avoiding the topic unfortunately for us.

0 Kudos

see the last post from m on this thread: SNMP Trap Alerting questions

0 Kudos
Level 9

This is a huge problem and needs to be addressed! My companies HP NNM monitoring relied mostly on trap based alerting. Our NOC needs to be able to see some sort of notification from traps. Automatic actions may not be enough or even required.

I have the exaxt same issue, we are migrating from NNM into SW.  SW cannot view traps in the alerts window....

0 Kudos

I wonder what the logic is in this not being a feature.  CA Spectrum was doing this years ago.  This is much needed functionality and one would think the code would be pretty simple.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Bump!

0 Kudos

While this isn't directly a topic of a recent feature request I made I would encourage you to review and vote on this idea as a complete overhaul of trapping is needed in my opinion.

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/1139

0 Kudos
Level 12

Are there any updates on the availability to integrate traps into Advanced Alerts within the current release of NPM?

Bump!

0 Kudos
Level 19

Do you want the Trap to create an Advanced Alert?

That would be extremely useful.  What are the other available options with Traps in the current release?  We only have them displayed on our summary page – could not figure out much beyond that. 

The Alerts work great for issue workflow, and certain traps are what really kick off a process – so to have Solarwinds seed the Alert and generate the email automatically would be a huge help. 

It would also be great if there were other ways to create alerts…. 

A manual alert – if one engineer notices a system issue that isn’t captured by the monitoring, they could create a manual alert and the IT team would have a single list of alerts / action items.  Solarwinds isn’t a ticketing system, but certain issues fit as alert.

An alert interface – creating an alert from a program or script would really help to make Solarwinds the one-stop for system monitoring.  We are generating traps with scripts and programmatically for some systems, so having Trap->alert and/or another way to create alerts is definitely wanted. 

-AA

Denny are you still watching this thread?  Any comments on if this can be done? 

Is there any sort of API in to Solarwinds?  We could write a custom script to create the alerts which would get called from the trap collecter as an external agent if there was an API to create alerts with.

0 Kudos