This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Confusion in the air with Traps

Afternoon thwacksters,

wanted to to clear somethings up with traps, we recived traps from network devices that were not monitored via solarwinds so i created a SQL statment to find all traps recived by nodes where nodeID = 0 just below

select * from traps t where (t.DateTime > getdate() - 1) AND (NODEID = '0')

this gave me the values i wanted 

my question is the nodes not monitoed via solarwinds are the traps stored in the same fasion as if they were monitored?

i am confident that ALL traps are indeed stored in the Database regardless of monitoring of the node

unless that is if you create a condition to discard traps

• If you want to disable the storing of unmonitored devices' traps, check your Trap Service configuration file at C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Orion\SWTrapService.exe.config

There's a setting in this file where you can tell the service not to process traps from unmanaged nodes. I would believe that the default behavior of this setting would be that the traps are ignored and would not be stored in the database. Let me know if it is really the case.

I also recently found that unmanaged nodes' traps are stored in the database but would not appear in the trap viewer nor in the trap page of NPM. We would have expected to show up since our SWTrapService.exe.config should allow all traps to be seen incoming.

• Cheers planglois​ thats just what i was looking for emoticons_happy.png

• HI planglois​,

can i ask where is the option in the log? i have looked through but cant see anything emoticons_sad.png.  many thanks in advances

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<configSections>

<section name="log4net" type="System.Configuration.IgnoreSectionHandler" />

</configSections>

<appSettings>

<!--   User application and configured property settings go here.-->

<!--   Example: <add key="settingName" value="settingValue"/> -->

<add key="RetriesNumber" value="10" />

<add key="RetriesInterval" value="30" />

<add key="RetriesIntervalOnFail" value="300" />

<add key="MultitaskMessageProcessing" value="true" />

<add key="CleanupInterval" value="300000" />

<add key="ErrorTimeOut" value="3600" />

<add key="DNSCacheTimeOut" value="60" />

<add key="EnableDNSResolving" value="true" />

<add key="EnableGettingValueFromOID" value="true" />

<add key="OIDCacheExpireTimeInMinutes" value="30" />

<add key="LoadOIDsHashset" value="false" />

<add key="EventLogSource" value="SolarWinds Trap Service" />

<add key="EventLogName" value="Application" />

<!--If the EventLogName is changed, you must restart the computer for the changes to take effect.-->

<add key="LookupNodesOnThisEngineOnly" value="false" />

<add key="RefreshInterval" value="5" />

<!-- Nodes refresh from DB interval in minutes -->

<add key="ClientSettingsProvider.ServiceUri" value="" />

<add key="TrapPort" value="162" />

<!-- Enable receiving of authNoPriv TRAPs from devices which are polled using authPriv security level -->

<add key="EnableAuthNoPrivTraps" value="true" />

<add key="NodeIdsCacheEnabled" value="true" />

<add key="UseCollectorEndpoint" value="True" />

<add key="BulkFlush_TimeoutSeconds" value="10" />

<add key="BulkFlush_BulkSize" value="50" />

<add key="MaxConcurrentThreads" value="60" />

<add key="SkipNotMonitoredDevices" value="false" />

<add key="TrapEngineIdv4" value="4F72696F6E5472617053657276696365" />

<add key="TrapEngineIdv6" value="4F72696F6E547261705365727669636549507636" />

<add key="CutOffAgentNodes" value="true" />

</appSettings>

<system.serviceModel>

<bindings>

<netNamedPipeBinding>

<binding name="CommonServiceBinding" maxReceivedMessageSize="2147483647" maxBufferSize="2147483647" sendTimeout="00:03:00">

<readerQuotas maxArrayLength="2147483647" maxStringContentLength="2147483647" />

</binding>

</netNamedPipeBinding>

</bindings>

<behaviors>

<serviceBehaviors />

</behaviors>

</system.serviceModel>

<runtime>

<enforceFIPSPolicy enabled="false" />

<generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false" />

</runtime>

<log4net>

<appender name="ConsoleAppender" type="log4net.Appender.ConsoleAppender">

<layout type="log4net.Layout.PatternLayout">

<conversionPattern value="[%thread] %-5level: %message - %logger{1}%newline" />

</layout>

</appender>

<appender name="RollingLogFileAppender" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">

<file value="${ALLUSERSPROFILE}\Application Data\Solarwinds\Logs\Orion\TrapService.log" />

<encoding value="utf-8" />

<appendToFile value="false" />

<rollingStyle value="Size" />

<maxSizeRollBackups value="5" />

<maximumFileSize value="10MB" />

<header type="log4net.Util.PatternString" value="*** Solarwinds Trap Service v%property{Assembly.Version}, .Net Runtime %property{Runtime.Version} ***%newline" />

<conversionPattern value="%date [%thread] %-5level %logger - %message%newline" />

</layout>

</appender>

<appender name="OutputDebugStringAppender" type="log4net.Appender.OutputDebugStringAppender">

<threshold value="ALL" />

<conversionPattern value="%date [%thread] %-5level %logger - %message%newline" />

</layout>

</appender>

<root>

<level value="INFO" />

<appender-ref ref="RollingLogFileAppender" />

<appender-ref ref="ConsoleAppender" />

<!--    <appender-ref ref="OutputDebugStringAppender" /> -->

</root>

</log4net>

<startup>

<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0" />

</startup>

<system.web>

<membership defaultProvider="ClientAuthenticationMembershipProvider">

<providers>

<add name="ClientAuthenticationMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.ClientServices.Providers.ClientFormsAuthenticationMembershipProvider, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" serviceUri="" />

</providers>

</membership>

<roleManager defaultProvider="ClientRoleProvider" enabled="true">

<providers>

<add name="ClientRoleProvider" type="System.Web.ClientServices.Providers.ClientRoleProvider, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" serviceUri="" cacheTimeout="86400" />

</providers>

</roleManager>

</system.web>

</configuration>

• Look for: <add key="SkipNotMonitoredDevices" value="false" />  and change it to true. A simple service restart should suffice and you would be able to test if this is suitable for you, by monitoring the number of traps stored with NODEID = '0' (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM traps where NODEID = '0'). If over a few minutes the count value increases, this would not be the fix you were looking for.

The config mod & service restart would be needed on additional pollers if you have some.

• Lol oh yeah right there thanks dude

• For newer Orion platforms, simply search for the "SkipNotMonitoredDevices" in the advanced configuration access page (Advanced Configuration access in Orion Platform ​ )