Create Post
Level 8

Changing domain of Orion Servers

Dear Community,

I have following three servers.

Orion Main poller hosting NPM, NTA, SAM, WPM & Virtualization modules

Orion dedicated SQL database server

NTA dedicated SQL database server

I need to change domain of these three servers from myabc to myxyz. Please inform what is the impact of this change on SolarWinds application and on SolarWinds database and how this change should be implemented.

@rschroeder @aLTeReGo @Jfrazier @mesverrum @zackm @ecklerwr1 @byrona @wluther @jeremymayfield @wabbott 

Thank full

Ahmad

0 Kudos
2 Replies

I changed domains for my environment around ten years ago.  It involved a Main Instance and six APE's.   I kept finding issues with certificates & AAA, one at a time.  Eventually I got them all ironed out, but it took a Support Ticket or two and five or six calls / remote sessions with Support to find & correct all the issues.  Tedious, time-consuming, but ultimately worth the sweat.

0 Kudos

We moved our NPM/NCM/IPAM server to a different AD forest two years ago during a project that involved an upgrade and the addition of SAM, SRM, and VMAN. There are a few related posts that can be found on Thwack, but every situation is unique. You'll ultimately want to open a support ticket to make sure that nothing is missed in your environment. 

At a very high level, our process involved:

1. Build new servers in the new Active Directory forest
  2. Complete essential configuration and validate that the new servers can poll your devices (test firewall rules and polling credentials)
  3. Stop services in the new environment
  4. Take a backup of your new environment (save a clean installation state)
  5. Stop services in the old environment
  6. Take a backup of the old environment
  7. Restore the backup of the old environment DB into the new environment's SQL Server (the DB name should be the same in both environments)
  8. Work with SolarWinds support to manually edit fields in the DB that reference your old environment's name, URLs, DB, credentials, etc
  9. Start services in the new environment
  10. Transfer licenses from the old to the new
  11. Backup and remove the old environment
0 Kudos