This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Changing Node colors based on SNMP

Hello,

I have several temperature sensors that I am monitoring using NPM. Of course the nodes go red and green based on network connectivity (ping). But I would like the colour to change based on the event of an SNMP trap being sent from a temperature monitor. So when the temperature is below the threshold the node is green, when the temperature goes up the node turn red. I just need some type of visual indicator showing that the temperature is above normal.

NB. If it helps I already have a custom poller to monitor the temperature, so when I view a node page I can see a gauge and graph telling me the temperature. 

So how do I get the node colours to change besed on SNMP data???

Thanks

• This isn't currently possible.

Firstly, SNMP traps are not stateful so it would change the status of the node when the trap came through but what would ever change it back when there is nothing to re-arm?  I like the idea but haven't spent enough time thinking about it to figure out the re-arm piece yet.

As far as changing the "colors" or status of nodes is concerned, I did submit a feature request a while back that you can find HERE, sign up for it if it's something that you would like to see.

• I should have said MIB variable and not SNMP trap. So NPM would monitor the MIN variable and change the colour of the node based on threshold value.

But since color changing is not a possibility what options do I have of graphically representing a high tempurature value on a web page? Or do I have to wait till your proposal is approved?

Thanks for the help Byron.

• Do you have APM also?  If so you can do this with an application monitor that utilizes SNMP components.