cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Changig Custom Properties using Advanced Alerts

Quick, before I pull my hair out!

Using Basic Alerts, action can be set to change a custom property when alert conditions are met.

Is there a way to do that using Advanced Alerts???

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Level 13

Hi filipv--

The quick answer to your question is no, you cannot create an Advanced Alert to do this. You might, however, be find a workaround using SQL to directly manipulate the database. Use caution when you do this because it could cause you to lose data.

M

0 Kudos

Seems daft that you can influence custom properties in basic alerts but not in advanced alerts.

Anyone know if this has changed, or might in the future?

Zombie thread...

0 Kudos

After digging around I found another post that got around this in a clever way.  It's sort of a SQL injection from the event log action.

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/150221#150221

Still, why isn't this a feature of advanced alerting natively?! 

And why is "natively" not in this spell check app...seems like "changing" is not either looking at this thread's subject. 

0 Kudos

Hi filipv--

What did you decide to do? Can you update the community?

M

0 Kudos

I asked a SQL guru to write a code which will check the status of few custom pollers and change custom properties accodingly. He should get to work in next couple of days and I will report the results here.

The problem was this: Using universal device poller I'm monitoring DVB-T transmitter output power expressed in percent of nominal power. Each DVB-T transmitting array (a single node in the database!) has five tranmitters - tx1, 2, 3, 4 and reserve tx. So, for each transmitter I have a custom poller (5 custom pollers per every such Node). I needed an alert which will trigger an action whenever ANY three or more transmitters on each Node are emitting less than 90% of nominal power. What I tried first was this:

This didn't work. I realized that you can't trigger alerts (or generate reports) based on more than one custom poller. In desperation, I wanted to create five alerts (one for each custom poller) which will modify five custom properties according to tx power status. Then, I would make sixth alert which will read those five custom properties. But, since Advanced Alerts cannot change custom properties, and Basic Alerts cannot read custom pollers......

0 Kudos

Many thanks for sharing this info!

M

0 Kudos