This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Certain services failing to start - any ideas?

The last couple of days i've been in the process of migrating our Solarwinds to new servers and upgrading our version at the same time. Everything has been going well, however this morning I rebooted the main NPM server and now the services below will not start and I can't work out why. I am on an evaluation copy at the moment but it has been working fine, until the reboot. Any ideas?

scrnshot.png

• Hey,

1. First thing to do is check the status of the licensing for your various modules. This is easily done via the SolarWinds Licensing Manager (you'll find it in the program list, under SolarWinds).

2. Use the SolarWinds Database Manager to check your poller can connect to the database (you'll dine this in the program list again, but this time under SolarWinds Orion/advanced features)

3. If this is all good, the next thing to do is to run the SolarWinds Configuration Manager and repair everything (note, if you have any website customisations make sure you have these documented as you'll likely need to re-apply them). This fixes a lot of odd issues like the one you describe.

4. Finally, check to see if the account any of these services are running under has the relevant access rights to the server, and any stored credentials are using the correct password. Generally, when you install the software it'll all be using the built in accounts, but if you specified service accounts later on, access rights and user passwords can cause problems.

Hopefully this will help you get things back up and running! Let us know how you get on.

• Thanks for the reply.

1. Status of the licensing seems fine.

2. Checked the database manager and it was able to connect fine.

3. I ran through the full configuration wizard and the following error occurs:

scrn.png

4. In terms of access nothing has changed and all accounts used to install are being used and have full rights.

I was really starting to get somewhere and the last thing to do was migrating the actual license and then this happens :S

• Hi Matt,

Can you log in to the Orion console at the moment? The 17777 is the solarwinds information service port, and it's quite unusual to see these errors. Check the server isn't blocking connections on TCP 17777 (if windows firewall is on), or if your database is on another server, in a different network, check to see if the relevant ACLs are in place to allow the poller to "talk" to the database.

• Ye I can log into console no problem. I've turned the firewall off completely on the server and no joy. The datebase is on the same network and as far as i'm aware nothing has changed. It is very odd. I'm going to do some more digging to see if our server team have changed anything recently because the reboot has obviously applied or done something to affect it.

• IF the repair hasn't fixed it, I would collate the diagnostics (run Orion Diagnostics, found in the SolarWinds Orion\Diagnostics and Support) and log a ticket with Support via the Customer Portal. Even if your server team find the problem, at least you've started the ball rolling. You can always close the ticket.

1. Please go into Control Panel> Advanced Tools> Services.
    2. Look for Net.TCP Port Sharing Service
      1. Service should be set to Manual or Automatic, if set to Disabled change to Automatic and start the service.
    3. Once Net.TCP is running the others can not be started. If they fail, please check permissions.

Permissions

1. C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\OrionPermissionChecker.exe
    2. Select Check
    3. Once Complete Select Repair.
    4. Stop and Start all services.
  • Sorry @sean.martinez I jumped to a reinstall before trying your suggestion. I have checked that service and it appears to be running.

After the reinstall I now get the following error:

Untitled.png

Progress??

• Does the user account you're using to install SolarWinds have full admin rights to the server? At this point, I recommend that you log a call with Support.

• Ye I used the same account the first time around and had no issues. I'll try a few more things and if I still get no where, I'll do that. Thanks for your help guys.

• silverbacksayssean.martinez

I've resolved it!

I uninstalled and deleted every trace of Solarwinds on the server including Solarwinds IIS information and all solarwinds registry files. Run the installer again and it is now back working. Very odd, not sure what happened. Just afraid to reboot now.

Thanks for your help all the same!