Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Cannot backup database.

Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here. i have a problem where i cannot backup m database. i'm going to do the upgrade of my Solarwinds (NPM, SAM and IPAM). But when i do backup, it hang on 60% - 70% of the backup. im using MSSQL 2005 Express but my database is size 27GB. im going to upgrade my MSSQL too. Anyone can help me regarding this?

Thanks.

Azfar

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 17

If your database is truly 27GB then you've far exceeded the max size limit of MS SQL Express.  If you have another server that has a full version of SQL, I'd honestly recommend you stop all Orion services, detach the database, copy the files manually, then move them to the full version of SQL.  Once moved, attach the files, then run the Orion Configuration wizard to point to the new full version of SQL.  Once done, you shouldn't have issues with backing up the database.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Level 17

If your database is truly 27GB then you've far exceeded the max size limit of MS SQL Express.  If you have another server that has a full version of SQL, I'd honestly recommend you stop all Orion services, detach the database, copy the files manually, then move them to the full version of SQL.  Once moved, attach the files, then run the Orion Configuration wizard to point to the new full version of SQL.  Once done, you shouldn't have issues with backing up the database.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com

View solution in original post

Thanks for your help...i have manage to backup my database as what mharvey told here.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Hi Azfar,

when you need just backup your database you can do it two ways. Both are standard database backup.

1. use standard backup command:

something like this (of course change the path)

BACKUP DATABASE SolarWindsOrion

TO DISK = 'Z:\SQLServerBackups\SolarWindsOrion.bak'

WITH FORMAT;

2. use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

click on database SolarWindsOrion->in local menu choice Tasks and Back Up... ->Setup parameters of your backup->OK to run backup.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos
Level 8

no one reply my post...hmm

0 Kudos