This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can we use NPM to create availability report of Windows File and Print Services?

Can we use NPM to create availability report of Windows File and Print Services? I do not have Server and Application Monitor available.

• Yes, but it's not as easy as if you had SAM (shameless plug).

The MIB file describing windows SNMP objects can be found in C:\windows\system32\lmmib2.mib. In there you have OIDS like:

svSvcName  OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX  DisplayString (SIZE (1..15))

ACCESS  read-only

STATUS  mandatory

DESCRIPTION 

"The name of the network service described by this entry."

::= { svSvcEntry 1 }

...and...

svSvcOperatingState  OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX

INTEGER {

active(1),

continue-pending(2),

pause-pending(3),

paused(4)

}

ACCESS  read-only

STATUS  mandatory

DESCRIPTION 

"The operating status of the network service specified by 

this entry."

::= { svSvcEntry 3 }

If you mib-walk the server, you should be able to identify which specific OID refers to the service you want, and then set up a UnDP for it.

Unfortunately it may vary server to server. I've never done this activity for that service, so I don't know for sure. You may have a UnDP for each server in your environment. And the cost in your time to implement and support may cancel out any savings from not buying SAM. (again, shameless plug)

BUT... it is do-able.