cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we find jitter, Latency ,and throughput type parameters using NPM?

Hello, I have a GNS3 simulated network with 8 nodes. I have integrated GNS3 routers with NPM using a switch. Now I want to calculate the qos parameters when different types of traffic is transmitted over the network. Can NPM do that? Or should I go for other tool? If yes, how can I do that. It would be helpful, even if you can explain it in a vague way.

Tags (4)
11 Replies
d09h
Level 16

Re: Can we find jitter, Latency ,and throughput type parameters using NPM?

Yes, by custom polling OIDs involved:

Example:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12036671/oid-ipsla-icmp-jitter

You can also configure thresholds/ traps/ syslog stuff within IOS and have that sent to NPM:  IP SLAs Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS Release 15M&T - Configuring Proactive Threshold Monitoring fo...

Thanks for the reply. Do you any reference link/example on how to configure OID for IP SLA. Or any material on how to configure IP SLA to find qos for different traffic(http,video,voice..etc)

0 Kudos
ecklerwr1
Level 19

NTA module with NPM will give you all of your QOS info you are talking about.

0 Kudos
d09h
Level 16

If you SNMPwalk and the IOS is capable of reporting IPSLA metrics via SNMP, you'll see statistics (assuming SNMP works/ you see output from your SNMPwalk).  Do you have other SolarWinds modules or just NPM?

0 Kudos
alexch
Level 9

Latency is the default NPM feature, QoS - is the NTA responsibility. To get jitter (min/max/avg) you have to use SNMP request to a special OID.

0 Kudos

Thanks alexch. Can you please help me how to use SNMP to request OID with the following example. Suppose I have 2 routers, one is connected to and other to client. The client requests http traffic from server. So now should I connect a switch connecting both routers and connect a NTA to switch?And How to request snmp to request OID.? If you have any previous configurations, can you please post that. Please help me with this.

0 Kudos
alexch
Level 9

The connection scheme doesn't metter in this case - all devices should be reachable by IP from your Solarwinds instance. You can use a switch to connect Solarwinds to your network (as I've got you have to put it between routers). Then you need to find necessary OID (depends what statistics are you going to collect from router) in the router's vendor MIB DB (go to vendor site and search for MIB-browser). After that you can create your custom poller (search  by "Universal Device Poller UNDP" in Solarwind web-site) based on the OID and create a graph/table or whatever you want in Solarwinds.

0 Kudos

So, this can be made without solarwinds NPM and NTA  right? I will try what you have said and might ask you a few doubts, kindly help .

0 Kudos

how  to find that module in NPM , after installing both of them separately.

0 Kudos