cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Can we create a Email notification to the Solarwinds node Groups ?

HI Experts ,

We  as a centralized network  management system we  are managing  around 3000 devices.

1) My  query is can we create Alert(Email  notification ) for Group(node group).

2)If we can create can  we write condition that if more than three  devices were down in a group then the Group alert should thorough a notification  and no alerts should be triggered on other nodes which are  down.

We have monitoring all nodes and we have alerts created .When any huge outage happens we will  receive a bulk  no.of incidents. In order  or reduce we will  suppress  the alerts if we have

informed earlier but if it not planned then we  will receive bulk no.of incidents.

to  avoid this can I suggest the team to  create  an alert for Group ?

If we have huge node  down for a location we should get an alert from Group  and the individual alerts should be stopped.....Because for every single node down we would have alert for it.

If  a Group  throws an alert then the alerts configured for the individual  nodes should be stopped.This is my  query.

Can we automate this?

Need your suggestions and solutions for this

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MVP
MVP

0 Kudos

HI ,

Thanks for the answer.We will  try to  Apply this and  will  come to  you if any help  needed.

Regards,

Vijay

vijay.penumoodi​, did this work for you?

0 Kudos

We have created a Group  Alert as suggested and our team contacted to SW TAC Engineer for support

The TAC Engineer Confirmed that there is no chance to Stop  the Individual Alerts when we have created a Group alerts .

Our Requirement is to reduce the Count of Incidents for any Power Outages with  a condition saying "When any 5 devices were down in a  group then a group  alert should be triggered " but the TAC Engineer clearly said to  stop individual alerts for our environment.I could not understand if these Group alerts are related and dependent on our Solarwinds Design.

Need your quick suggestion on this and Support.

0 Kudos

If you have defined a dependency relationship for each site then when the parent goes down Orion stops polling the children and sets them to Unreachable status.  As long as you don't have your node down alert logic including Unreachable status objects then that should cause the children to stop generating alerts. 

There are MANY threads about various methods people have used to build out lots of dependency relationships, but I personally prefer to use a variant on this technique
Automatic Dependencies Based On Custom Properties (Node Location)

- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos