cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: Can we alert for SNMP not responding nodes?

Jump to solution

Hello,

you can use for some critical nodes SNMP status polling.

List resources on that nodes and instead of status polling via ICMP check SNMP status polling.

LAda

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

yes this option i m aware but dont want to use it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

This alert seems to be working fine for me. This will send an alert for any device that is not "Down" when Hardware or child node status is "Unknown" for any polling method. If SNMP stops responding, the child status and/or hardware status should change to unknown and trigger the alert.

pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_1.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

Can you show us configurations image ?

Enviado do meu iPhone

Em 10 de nov de 2016, às 17:49, jtranchina@mathematica-mpr.com <communityteam@solarwinds.com> escreveu:

Can we alert for SNMP not responding nodes?

reply from jtranchina@mathematica-mpr.com in Network Performance Monitor - View the full discussion

This alert seems to be working fine for me. This will send an alert for any device that is not "Down" when Hardware or child node status is "Unknown" for any polling method. If SNMP stops responding, the child status and/or hardware status should change to unknown and trigger the alert.

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-349466-136966/pastedImage_1.png

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on THWACK

Start a new discussion in Network Performance Monitor by email or at THWACK

Following Network Performance Monitor in these streams: Email Watches, Inbox, Connections Stream

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

It's in the post....you may be having issues viewing it on your iPhone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

Jump to solution

Ok I see now If you set status different up? Ane test a single node after for more .

Enviado do meu iPhone

Em 10 de nov de 2016, às 18:06, jtranchina@mathematica-mpr.com <communityteam@solarwinds.com> escreveu:

Can we alert for SNMP not responding nodes?

reply from jtranchina@mathematica-mpr.com in Network Performance Monitor - View the full discussion

It's in the post....you may be having issues viewing it on your iPhone.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on THWACK

Start a new discussion in Network Performance Monitor by email or at THWACK

Following Network Performance Monitor in these streams: Email Watches, Inbox, Connections Stream

Following Can we alert for SNMP not responding nodes? in these streams: Inbox

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

This worked perfectly for me.... was able to test it yesterday for a new customer... thanks for sharing it,,,

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

You may find the simplest, most straight-forward solution is to put the Hardware Health Overview window on your front page.  It'll show any devices that stop responding to snmp as "Undefined", and will update automatically in real time.

pastedImage_0.png

To get this into your home page, open Orion NPM. The top right corner of the page should have a link called "Customize Page". Click on it and add the "Hardware Health Overview" to any of your columns, and move it up or down to the position you think makes best sense.

pastedImage_0.png

Then all you need do is click Done, and watch for that green circle to show a Gray line, and for the gray "Undefined" count to show anything greater than zero. Click on the "Undefined" link to see which nodes have stopped responding to snmp.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

I like this idea (hardware status unknown), but it does not seem to work for Linux virtual appliances. Would it be accurate to say that these Linux vm's do not actually have a "hardware status"? That's what it looks like to me. If this is correct, then is our only option to do something like this with LastSystemuptimepollUTC:

WHERE (s.LastSystemuptimepollUTC < DATEADD(HOUR,-72,GETUTCDATE())
OR s.LastSystemuptimepollUTC IS NULL)

Thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos