This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can't get alert for "UPS on battery" to work...

FormerMember
FormerMember

Has anyone made a poller/alert for detecting when their UPSs have gone to battery power? I have made a poller with:

poller name is equal to upsAdvBatteryCapacity

Status is less than or equal to 100

But that doesn't seem to work. I thought if I used something like this and they went to battery power then it would put the capacity down to 99% after a minute and then the alert would fire but it doesn't work.

There is a MIB that is actually just for onBattery but it's red and I can't add it because it says it's not supported.

Does anyone know how to configure this alert for an APC UPS?

• The way I set our advanced alert here is to alert me when a UPS has been on battery for more than 10 minutes.  I poll the upsBasicBatteryTimeOnBattery OID.  Since my statistics collection is set to only poll every 10 minutes a value of more than 600 seconds will fire this alert.  Most of our UPSs are Emerson, but we do have a few APC SmartUPSs.

Poller Name is equal to upsBasicBatteryTimeOnBattery (the OID is 1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.2.1.2)

Status is greater than or equal to 600

Hope this helps!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to kweise

I used the same poller and then set it to greater than or equal to 60 with it checking every minute but I didn't get any alert fired. I have it assigned to all the UPSs and then sending out an e-mail but I don't get anything...

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Okay, I got it to work.

Maybe it was because I just configured a new Poller or something but I used the upsBasicBatteryTimeOnBattery and assigned it to all the UPSs.

Then selected "Custom Node Poller" from the drop down list in the advanced alerts and put in:

vendor is equal to American Power Conversion Corp
    poller name is equal to upsBasicBatteryTimeOnBattery
    status is greater than or equal to 120

and set it to check every two minutes.

Basically it's what you said there but I hadn't put in the vendor portion...not sure if that matters or if it was just creating a new one, but what ever.

Thanks for the help.