This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can't backup SQL Express database

I'm trying to backup an SQL database. When I'm going into database manager I'm able

to see the netperfmon database etc but when I try and backup it just say that the operation

failed. Has anyone else had this issue?

We are running NPM/NCM on XP and this could be the issue.

We are about to migrate to windows server and sql 2003 but it would be good to backup

first!

Thanks

Sam

• Hi There
    The reason you cannot do this is that Sql express Does not have the Sql agent By default as it is the free version. The database manager requires this agent to be running to allow you to backup databases in database manager. You would need to have the Full standard or enterprise edition of Sql to get this done.

One way you could do this if you want to do this on a scheduled basis is to script the action manually on Sql studio management express
    1.  Open this application
    2.  Right click on the Netperfmon database
    3.  Select tasks and backup
    4.  Add the destination  for the backup
    5.  on the top right hand corner Select the script Button
    6.  This will generate a script For You
    7.  Save this Script and a.sql file
    8.  You can then run this as a scheduled task on your  Windows machine.
    The only other option would be to do this manually when you need to do a backup
    Hope this Helps
    -J

• Since you're running NCM as well, you'll want to backup the ConfigMgmt database as well.

If SolarWinds DB manager isn't working, you might try downloading SQL Server Management Studio Express to see if that works any better:   www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

• Yes this worked a treat. I just used it. Many Thanks

• Hi,

What could be done when the database is runing on a remote SQL 2008 server machine? How can we make a scheduled backup on remote machine?