This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can't access the website anymore after upgrading from V8 to V9

I just upgraded my OPM from V8 to V9 without any problems but...

I manually had to change the TCP port in the IIS server from 80 to 17777 and 

When I try to open the website now I get the following error

System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 10.33.1.254:80
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP)
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at ClassicSiteProxy.Login(HttpContext context, String username, String password)
at Login.DoLoginAction(String username, String password)
at Login.InitiateLogin()
at Login.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
  • Ignore the port change from 80 to 17777.

I changed it back to 80 and now I get a new error

System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
    at ClassicSiteProxy.FetchPage(HttpContext context, String pathAndQuery, Boolean allowPostThrough, Boolean followRedirects)
    at ClassicSiteProxy.FetchPage(HttpContext context, String pathAndQuery)
    at Orion_ResourceContainer.ResourcePlaceHolder_DataBind(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind()
    at System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren()
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateItem(Int32 itemIndex, ListItemType itemType, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem)
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource)
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.DataBind()
    at Orion_ResourceContainer.DataBind()
    at Orion_SummaryView.OnInit(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
  • It even gets weirder, now I get on most o the Pc's who try to access the site the following error

There was an error communicating with the Orion server.
    Additional Information
    There was no endpoint listening at net.tcp://peenetmon01:17777/orion/npm/businesslayer that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.
    Troubleshooting Steps

1. Confirm that the SolarWinds Orion Module Engine service is running, as shown in the following steps:
             1. Click Start > Administrative Tools > Services.
             2. Right-click SolarWinds Orion Module Engine, and then click Start.
       2. If the SolarWinds Orion Module Engine service is already running, contact SolarWinds Support.
       3. Refresh the Orion Web Console browser.
       4. If the Orion Web Console does not display, contact SolarWinds Support.

While the server is listening on port 17777 

• Hi daxvancamp,

please go to your InetPub folder and open the SolarWinds website folder. Here you will find a custom.config file undere Orion which needs some editing.

Open the file with notepad and check the proxy host. Change it to the IP address of your Orion server. It is using 127.0.0.1 by default.

Save the changes and open the Website.

Please open a support ticket if you still have this issue and we will take care of it.

Kind Regards

Oliver White

•  I just discovered something new.

I can only access the site with either guest or admin, all other accounts get the error  

Orion Website Error

There was an error communicating with the Orion server.
    Additional Information
    There was no endpoint listening at net.tcp://peenetmon01:17777/orion/npm/businesslayer that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.
    Troubleshooting Steps

1. Confirm that the SolarWinds Orion Module Engine service is running, as shown in the following steps:
             1. Click Start > Administrative Tools > Services.
             2. Right-click SolarWinds Orion Module Engine, and then click Start.
       2. If the SolarWinds Orion Module Engine service is already running, contact SolarWinds Support.
       3. Refresh the Orion Web Console browser.
       4. If the Orion Web Console does not display, contact SolarWinds Support.

•  The custom.config file was edited and the IP address of the server was already in the file

• The Orion Module Engine service is, among other things, a helper for the website. The website communicates with the Module Engine on port 17777. You don't want IIS listening on 17777 - that would interfere with the Module Engine claiming that port.

At this point, I think you would probably be best served by opening a ticket with support.

•  I also noticed that all my customized menu bars and views aren't working as well ( I receive the same error as posted above ).

Concerning the support ticket, they proposed to reinstall the software, which isn't a solution at all but more a trial-and-error approach without any investigation at all ! 

• What was the original issue that caused you to change IIS from port 80 to port 17777?

•  There was no issue, bu I noticed in the error that the client tried to communicate on port 17777, that's why I changed IS to listen on port 17777 instead of 80.

But this has been restored now 

•  After getting in touch with Support ( Caroline ) and some discussions we were able to get everything up and running again.

I had to remove the installation using the control panel

I had to run a special SQL query given to me by support to clean my custom made tables ( all information was still available ) to make everything work again.

Thank you for the quick response and for solving my issue.