This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can NPM process alerts from SNMP Traps from custom applications?

We have an internal client that wants to send SNMP traps from their custom application monitoring tool to our Orion instances.

The client wants specs for creating their new custom traps, but I am not entirely sure that NPM can fire trap alerts from custom traps sent from an external source (not managed node in the NPM system processing the trap).

If anyone has experience in this area I'd appreciate your input.

Products currently installed on our systems:

Orion Platform 2015.1.1, SAM 6.2.0, QoE 2.0, IPAM 4.3, NCM 7.3.2, NPM 11.5.1, NTA 4.1.0, IVIM 2.0.1

• Yes, Orion acts as a generic SNMP trap sink.  If you point a SNMP trap source (the custom app) at the Orion server that is configured to accept traps, then they will get in.  The formatting of the trap and the varbinds is up to the trap source (the custom app).  Orion just treats varbinds as variables that are passed along with the trap.

Also Orion can recieve traps from unmanaged systems.  We commonly use this as part of finding rouge nodes that should be formally monitored but got past our discovery or manual input process.

Now constructing SNMP traps is a different problem but if the client wants to do it that way, so be it.

Syslog is typically a simpler technique to use.

Chris

• Thanks for the response; I agree about syslog being more reliable, but it is not without cost (in resource utilization on the management server side).

Our syslog receiver was so badly abused by our network team that we actually had to stop that service on all polling engines permanently.

The problem is that folks tend to think they can simply point all their syslog at SolarWinds and we'll automagically know what alerts to generate from this firehose.

The result is that our NPM database was filling up daily from millions of lines of unsolicited syslog data from hundreds of devices!

"Better Living through Automation" only works if your customers play ball too.

• ‌hi

I move the Npm to onther IP and didn't told  them :-)

install a kiwisyslog on the old npm Ip save me 5000 messages a hour of noise

• The fun part you will have is if there is a custom mib.

The customers cannot compile in a new mib but rather have to send it off to SolarWinds for them to compile it in. 

I am not sure of the amount of time for the turnaround....

• Interesting. I hadn't considered that.  I was thinking of the TRAPs as formed as follows:

TRAP (source mib)

varbind1 = xxx

varbind2 = yyy

varbind3 = zzz

I didn't consider that the varbinds must be extracted from the MIB definition to be processed.  I wish I had a SNMP compliant coffee machine laying around to test it on.

Even without having the MIB file with the trap definition in it, Orion will still accept the trap, 

It might not understand what it is and default presenting the OID of the trap and the OIDs of the varbinds.  It would also not understand the type of the varbinds of the trap variables and default to hex (maybe)?

Chris

• At that point since you know the context of the values, you can make the appropriate adjustments.  Not a big deal.  The text of the trap will likely be non-sensable since Orion does not have the text to plug in. You can then create it on the resulting actions.