cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Can I run config wizard on multiple servers simultaneously when upgrading or migrating?

Jump to solution

Greetings!  I'm about to update my system to version 2020.2 HF1 and migrate my entire installation to new servers.  As part of the migration, I'm supposed to run config wizard on each server.  Do I have to do that one at a time or can I run them all simultaneously?  For good measure, I was planning on completing it first on my MPE before moving to my APEs and AWSs, and then running it on all the APEs and AWSs at the same time.

Are there any issues with this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

@kpieckiel As long as the MPE is completed first APE's and AWS's can all be done concurrently. I've done several upgrades like this since 2019.4 and that's also how centralized upgrades does it as well. I would still stagger them cause I have seen where it will fail because one APE has what I assume is a lock on a table, but then I retry and it will go through without any issue, since I started staggering the runs however I don't see those same failures anymore.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Level 8

Thank you @neomatrix1217@christopher.t.jones123, and @HerrDoktor for your replies.  I appreciate your input.  Given that I have about 40 servers to update, I'm going to lean on Christopher's experience that it can be done simultaneously when staggered as this will cut down my maintenance window dramatically.  If I find that this causes problems, then I'll report back here for others to learn from my attempt.

0 Kudos
Level 16

I would run them one at a time since the config wizard is writing to the DB.

0 Kudos

@kpieckiel As long as the MPE is completed first APE's and AWS's can all be done concurrently. I've done several upgrades like this since 2019.4 and that's also how centralized upgrades does it as well. I would still stagger them cause I have seen where it will fail because one APE has what I assume is a lock on a table, but then I retry and it will go through without any issue, since I started staggering the runs however I don't see those same failures anymore.

View solution in original post

As far as I know only one Config wizard can run at a time. This might have changed in 2020.2. But I would still say it’s in sequence 

i have mostly worked with the centralized update more recently an I have not paid attention if the centralized installer runs the wizards simultaneously or in sequence.

0 Kudos