This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can I add a "comment box" to my NPM?

Good day,

I hope someone can help me with this simple request. I would like to add a "Comment box" similar to an HTML form with fields that can be entered into NPMV6. I am thinking it should be a "Custom HTML" resource, but I don't have a form hosted anywhere and I don't really want to move outside the company LAN for little add-ons like this.

Is there such a procedure anywhere that I can use to do this?

Purpose:

If a Node is "down", I would like fellow engineers to enter a status update into that "Node Details" page, so I would like to add a window with the following info:

Name:_________________________
Date:____________Time:__________
Update:________________________

This info must remain somewhere for future reference or to obtain an update from the person responsible for the monitoring of the specific node. I hope this makes sense!

Anything similar would be appreciated!!!

Regards,
Digi 

• Hi Digi

This can be achieved with Custom Properties.

Simply create a couple of custom properties and then use the Custom HTML resource to display them on the node details page.

I have the below setup

Site, TelephoneNumber and Notes are all custom properties.

This get get displayed like:

Hope this explains it well enough.

• Hi Mattjenkins :)

Thank you very much for the response! I have tried what you mentioned but it's not really what I'm looking for. I'm sorry, but after reading my original question I realized it may have been a bit misleading. 

Let me try this again. (Sorry, I'm very new at this). 

When a node goes down, eg. a windows server - and I click on it to view its performance, etc. I would like to place a "window" there that looks something like this:

It must be a form that can be completed by the engineer who monitors the system at the specified time when the node goes down, to update other engineers as to what is being/has been done about the node that is down - so that others know whether the issue is being tended to. If possible, it must store the comments log somewhere for future references.

We are planning on integrating Solarwinds & our Service Desk app in future, but this is proving to be a bigger hassle than originally intended. We would like to use the above form built into NPM in the meantime.

Would something like this be possible at all?

Thank you all for your patience!
    Digi

• Hi Digi,

Ah I understand now lol

Unfortunatly its not currently possible as far as im aware. You should drop a post in to the feature request forum referencing this thread.

• Thanks so much, Matt. I have done as you suggested :)

Regards,

Louis

• this can be accomplished but gets hairy!  do you have a DBA that is willing to work with you on this.  It looks like the difference between suggested answer and your need is basically, you want to maintain history.

this can be done by adding a custom table and some custom properties.

take a look at these two posts in content exchange.  basically I was using IPSLA to track customer experience availability and set up ability to add notes.  give this to DBA and have port it to NPM for your use.

hope that helps.

• Thanks so much for the assistance so far!! I have found a temporary solution in the meantime. We will be having a meeting tomorrow to discuss the way forward, possibly via a database as "njoylif" suggested. 

For now the form looks like this:

Once an engineer submits the form after completion, it sends a mail to all engineers to notify them that someone is addressing the problem. It still goes via external mail but we will configure it to send mail via SMTP internally. Still a bit of work to do. The form host we're using is called "JotForm" (www.jotform.com). They provide the html code for your specific form which you just enter into a custom html frame.

• HDigiTechie,

Did you ever get this working ? I need to do the same thing.

Thanks

• Hi jschul2,

I never managed to get it to save the notes to a database, only to send it via mail to whoever needs the update :) 

You basically add a new Custom HTML resource to your page, where you want the form to display. Then you edit that resource and enter the HTML code from the "form host". I used "Jotform", which gave me 30 free "submissions" - after which I had to pay to keep on sending the e-mails. If you know SMTP well, then you can probably create your own html-form and have it managed by your own mail server. 

The end result will look like the image in my previous post. You can customize fields depending on how you create the form - and then you insert the mail sender & recipient details, and that's it. So when someone goes onto that specific node page and complete the form, it will send the information to the desired recipients. 

I never took this task to the next level, but you can get it to insert the node name, date, username, etc. automatically if you know your way around the application.

Good luck & let me know if you need more info.

Regards,
    Digi