This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys is filling my disk space

Hello,

I notice that this folder is filling my disk space with millions of rsa files. I have more than 2 millions of these files on each poller and more than 5 millions on my web server. I gain about 40k new files each day.

Has someone made the same observation on its configuration ?

How can I safely purge these files ?

I had a first try by deleting files older than 3 months on my web server resulting on losing access to this machine.

Thank you for your help!

• Hey, most of the time MachineKeys folder stores certificate pair keys for both the computer and users.

You can clean this folder safely without affecting the Solarwinds application:

https://forums.iis.net/t/1224708.aspx?C+ProgramData+Microsoft+Crypto+RSA+MachineKeys+is+filling+my+disk+space

• Hi Littlebee_26,

Thank you for your reply. I assume deleting these files are safe for the Solarwinds application but obviously not for the environment. As I said, I lose access to my machine by deleting these files.

Following your link, I found this : https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1683713

It explicitly says: "If you're running IIS, there is a private key for encrypting the IIS MetaBase stored here. This key will have a name starting with 'c2319'. DON'T DELETE THIS KEY – YOU'LL KILL IIS."

I think that is why I lose access to my machine. Moreover, I access this machine via a bastion host. Deleting the wrong rsa file results in losing trust relationships and again, losing access.

That's why I cannot safely delete this directory. Is there a way to delete files in this folder only related to Solarwinds ?

• We have millions RSA files on web servers/pollers, and it seems to affect polling engine performance ("initial pool in progress" stays for 3 to 5 hours after a unmanage/remanage)

Guys, can you check C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys folder ? Are we alone with this problem ?

Even on a freshly installed polling engine with 10 agents, we already have 100k RSA files in less that 2 weeks