cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Being Alerted on Input Errors and CRC Errors

Hi, has anyone attempted to setup a custom poller or some other method at monitoring interfaces for Input and CRC Errors and then having an alert sent out? I've been trying a few things and I just can't seem to find anything reliable.  So I'm wondering if anyone can help. 

We're running NPM 9.1 SP4

Thanks!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Level 9

What was your final configuration can you post it please? i need to do the same thing but with a Universal Poller that monitors CRC from Cisco and I'm on a point where I feel like I'm almost there but still not yet!

Any help would be appreciated!

Elias.

Level 12

After doing some digging in the advanced alerts, you can setup interface alerts for Xmit discards and errors as well as Rec discards and errors. The crc may have to be setup using a custom poller but, out of the box, orion advanced alerts can pick up what you are looking for.

0 Kudos
Level 12

here is a sample of the advanced alert

0 Kudos
Level 8

Hi Everyone, well I got it to work, well at least in my testing its working as expected.  I setup a custom poller and setup the advanced alert and I am gettting msgs when I expected to. 

Thanks for everyone's help in getting this taken care of!!

0 Kudos
Level 7

Hi Goldberg,  what was the final configuration.

I have a custom poller created.

I used raw with none

Then on the advanced alert I stated that the customer poller "numeric has changed"

Am I close?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Level 13

Hi goldberg--

You may also want to check out the technical reference on Advanced Alerts. It can help you with future alerts.

M

Level 8

Hi Marie, I've read the sections so many times that I know it by heart 🙂 

Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
Level 13

That's fantastic goldberg. Speaking of tips, have you checked out our Tips and Tidbits Forum. It's very helpful.

Thanks,

M

0 Kudos
MVP
MVP

What difficulty are you having? Finding the information or creating the alert?

0 Kudos
Level 8

Well I was able to create the poller and I found the numeric listing for the Cisco device I'm testing with.  Currently I'm working with Input Errors.  The OID I'm using is 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14 

So it tells me the number of Input Errors I have.  I then tried creating an alert that when the number begins to increment, send an alert.  Unfortunately or fortunately, I have a device that is generating Input errors.  So when the number increases, I'd expect an alert but its not happening.  So I'm definitely missing something somewhere.

0 Kudos
MVP
MVP

Can you export the alert definition and attach it here?

0 Kudos
Level 8

Because there are some addresses in the file, I pasted the trigger info, let me know if thats enough for you.

<AlertDefinitions><AlertDefinition AlertDefID="{07F8E809-6854-4B37-94F4-195476426062}" AlertName="Interface Input Errors" AlertDescription="This alert monitors the custom Interface Input Errors Poller.  When Input Errors are greater then 0, an alert is sent out." Enabled="True" StartTime="12:00:00 AM" EndTime="11:59:59 PM" DOW="1,2,3,4,5,6,7" TriggerQuery="SELECT CustomPollerAssignment.CustomPollerAssignmentID AS NetObjectID, CustomPollerAssignment.AssignmentName AS Name
FROM (CustomPollerAssignment INNER JOIN CustomPollers ON (CustomPollerAssignment.CustomPollerID = CustomPollers.CustomPollerID))  INNER JOIN CustomPollerStatus ON (CustomPollerAssignment.CustomPollerAssignmentID = CustomPollerStatus.CustomPollerAssignmentID)
WHERE 
(
  (CustomPollers.UniqueName = 'ifInErrors') AND
  (CustomPollerStatus.Rate &gt;= 1)
)
AND
(
(NetObjectPrefix = 'I')
)

0 Kudos
MVP
MVP

Do you have access to your database? I don't have an install handy, but I've never used the 'Rate' for the custom poller in an alert. There are two other options - one of them is prefixed with 'Numeric'. I want to stay it's either 'Numeric Statistic' or 'Numeric Status'. That's the one you want to use. I'm not sure what value would go into the rate field even if the custom poller were of type 'rate'.

Give it a try with 'Numeric Status' or 'Numeric Statistic'. If that doesn't yield something interesting, attach a screenshot of what you're seeing in the trigger conditions with that drop-down with fields expanded if possible.

Level 8

I will give that a try and let you know.  Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos
MVP
MVP

You're welcome; let me know.

0 Kudos
Level 8

mrxinu, its not working for me.  Now in my poller, I show the number incrementing so the poller is grabbing the correct stat.  I have the poller setup for Raw Value, Format Enumeration, Get, Interface.  I'm also keeping historical data. Let me know if I should change the values.

Now my alert is setup using the following:

Custom Interface Poller

Poller Name is equal to iflnErrors

Numberic Status has changed

So I'm seeing my poller value increase which coincides with the Input Errors increasing on my interface.  But my alert doesn't send anything.

0 Kudos
Level 12

I had planned on creating the alert for the same thing. When i get it working, i will post it here and in the content exchange.

I have several custom pollers that are using rate and have alerts tied to them and it is working. 

0 Kudos
MVP
MVP

I wonder if the enumeration is tripping you up. You would think "numeric" status would flatten things, but if you're modifying the value on the way out of the custom poller you may want to use "raw value" for your trigger condition. I've sent you a private message about firing up a GotoMeeting to check things out.

0 Kudos