cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Before the decade ends, show us your Orion Maps AND answer a few questions about them -- for 500 THWACK points!

That is the most detailed map I have ever seen. I am going to attempt to replicate that format.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Before the decade ends, show us your Orion Maps AND answer a few questions about them -- for 500 THWACK points!

1. Are you still using features from Network Atlas that you NEED to have in Orion Maps?

Yes we still currently use Network Atlas because Orion maps cannot meet our needs.

1. Why is a feature like Maps or Atlas important to you and your organization? What if you didn't have this feature?

All Maps must be legible when in NOC view. Orion maps on a projector for NOC view is impossible. It’s too busy cannot change anything. We also monitor temp for Datacenter. This is monitored from the Custom MIB Poller that is integrated into Network Atlas. We  need to be able to create icons for L3 Encryptors and then assign them to an interface without monitoring the device in Solarwinds as a node.

The main issue with Orion Maps are the Lines. I cannot change the Color, Size and Type. I need a map to reflect Tunnels (Dash Line), Direct Connections(Solid Line), and Link size(Thicker line), Black Line for up status not Green.

I also need to have cloud or any icon to show remote sites and then be able to click remote site to see their architecture. (This is the nested Maps)

solarwinds.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Here is a portion of a map I am working on.  I really like that I can create manual connections between interfaces like I have done below, but I would like to have the discovered connection be removable, or have the option to aggregate the traffic stats from both manually defined connections.  You can see that the discovered connection is using the stats from 1/0/9 and 1:1.  When there are multiple discovered connections, it seems to choose just one and show the stats for it.

maps issue.PNG

Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

That is correct Adam - when there are multiple connections between two nodes, we consolidate those into a single line.  What will be bubbled up to the top will be the connection with the worst status, based on hitting a threshold.  There could be multiple types of connections between two entities, and some of our larger customers have quite a bit.  The preference at times across many of you have been to show me when something is wrong, don't inundate me with every detail in my face at all times.  Would you prefer to see all connections vs the rolled up status?  If so, how would you envision that working? 

Highlighted
Level 7

What I would like to see if I am unable to hide the auto generated link, is the total from all links.  As you can see in the picture it just shows the data from ten 1/0/9 to port 1:1, and does not include the traffic from 2/0/9 to 2:3.

The map should be showing 233.3 Mbps from the left switch and 174.49Mbps on the right switch.

0 Kudos
Level 9

This version is getting better! but I think it's still lacking some basic features. Some have mentioned previously, but I'll toss my votes in for the following:

• Custom Labels/Text box fields
    • We have a map for every remote site that we operate. On each map, we like to toss in other addition labels that are useful when it comes to supporting that location. Things like, Primary contact at the site, Circuit information, ISP support contact info. That way, you just have to look at the map for that site, to get all support information that you need. Right now, we are adding that my importing an image with text. It's a rather cumbersome method, especially if you need to edit it.
  • Allow others users to edit maps
    • Now this may be something that's available, but I haven't figure it out yet. But we had an intern create all our maps for us, his term has now ended. When I go to edit the map, it doesn't actually let me edit the map he created. I have to edit it, and save it as a new map, then delete the previous one that was created. We have a group of users that would have the authority to edit these maps, it'd be nice to allow all said users the ability the edit the map.
  • Edit the line shape/format/colour
    • Figured something like this would have been in v1 of Maps (again, unless it is, and I'm missing something), but the ability to edit the shape of the connector line should be a given. The straight/fat connectors that are used now doesn't allow us to edit a map to give it a clean "flow" to it, it's just a bunch of random star bursts everywhere with the usage of straight lines. Also adjusting the colour of the lines for any preferred colour coding, along with the thickness of it could allow us to create cleaner diagrams.
  • Heat Maps
    • Any plans to migrate heat map capabilities to this version of maps?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Callahan - thanks for sharing feedback!

• Custom Labels/Text box fields - JB - We agree this is something that is critical - and something we are certainly working on.
    • We have a map for every remote site that we operate. On each map, we like to toss in other addition labels that are useful when it comes to supporting that location. Things like, Primary contact at the site, Circuit information, ISP support contact info. That way, you just have to look at the map for that site, to get all support information that you need. Right now, we are adding that my importing an image with text. It's a rather cumbersome method, especially if you need to edit it.
  • Allow others users to edit maps - JB - Noted - this is something we are exploring - but in this fashion there is some version control to some extent.  Great feedback.
    • Now this may be something that's available, but I haven't figure it out yet. But we had an intern create all our maps for us, his term has now ended. When I go to edit the map, it doesn't actually let me edit the map he created. I have to edit it, and save it as a new map, then delete the previous one that was created. We have a group of users that would have the authority to edit these maps, it'd be nice to allow all said users the ability the edit the map.
  • Edit the line shape/format/color - JB - When you say "shape" of the connector - I assume you are referring to being able to create right angles or curved connections.  We know this is important for reasons such as data density and something we hope to allow users to be able to do in a future release.  I am trying to get this accomplished sooner than later.  If you have any screenshots for what a "Clean Flow" looks like for you - I would love to see an example of it.  Also curious what you would want to adjust color of the lines for?  Do you not want these connections representing status conditions?  The goal is to have some standardization there so curious what your thoughts are here as well. 
    • Figured something like this would have been in v1 of Maps (again, unless it is, and I'm missing something), but the ability to edit the shape of the connector line should be a given. The straight/fat connectors that are used now doesn't allow us to edit a map to give it a clean "flow" to it, it's just a bunch of random star bursts everywhere with the usage of straight lines. Also adjusting the colour of the lines for any preferred colour coding, along with the thickness of it could allow us to create cleaner diagrams.
  • Heat Maps - JB - this is not something on the short term roadmap for the Orion Map project, but I know something jason.carrier​ is very interested in finding out if this feature is still valuable in your organization.
    • Any plans to migrate heat map capabilities to this version of maps?
Highlighted
Level 9

jblankjblank  wrote:

• Edit the line shape/format/color - JB - When you say "shape" of the connector - I assume you are referring to being able to create right angles or curved connections.  We know this is important for reasons such as data density and something we hope to allow users to be able to do in a future release.  I am trying to get this accomplished sooner than later.  If you have any screenshots for what a "Clean Flow" looks like for you - I would love to see an example of it.  Also curious what you would want to adjust color of the lines for?  Do you not want these connections representing status conditions?  The goal is to have some standardization there so curious what your thoughts are here as well.

• Heat Maps - JB - this is not something on the short term roadmap for the Orion Map project, but I know something jason.carrier is very interested in finding out if this feature is still valuable in your organization.

Thanks jblankjblank​! in response to the bolded.

Correct on the right angle/curved connections, that'd be nice! But also the weight/thickness of the connector line as well. There are quick thick by default and can create overlapping portions when you have multiple connectors on an object. As for colour coding, I've used them differently in various organizations as a quick visualizer for things like bandwidth on links, different colours for 1/10/25/40/100 gb links (at their request). I've also used them to to display active/failover paths as well.

Heat Maps, we use currently use it, but not to what I think could be the full potential of it. If you're a Cisco shop, I think the DNA center appliance will cover a lot of these...but that's expensive. But if you're looking to offer some of that functionality, things like being able to see the AP that a user is connected on, and the current signal strength, along with historical session data (so you can capture the "It didn't work yesterday" type requests). Those would be handy!

Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Hey Michael - Thanks for your feedback on wireless heatmaps. If you've got some time, I'd love to jump on a call to discuss. Tracking where users and devices are connected to wireless networks is something I'm researching at the moment.

0 Kudos