cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Product Manager
Product Manager

Re: Before the decade ends, show us your Orion Maps AND answer a few questions about them -- for 500 THWACK points!

I did chuckle a little bit when I saw this superfly99​ - we are definitely working on getting better more updated examples of maps into the online demo!

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Before the decade ends, show us your Orion Maps AND answer a few questions about them -- for 500 THWACK points!

We are (finally) in the active process of migrating from NPM version 10.6 to the latest stable release, around v12.5. The old version currently in production only has Network Atlas, and I have used the Orion Maps module in the proof of concept and development instance here at work. Addressing the questions below inline.

1. Share your map(s) below or email it to kristin.bongiovanni@solarwinds.com

A: Shared below- this is one example of one site which intrinsically helps us identify very quickly the status of a site, including WAN/LAN, and wireless.

2. Are you still using features from Network Atlas that you NEED to have in Orion Maps?

A: We are using both, but only int he sense of migration to ensure we can leverage same functionality in old AND new. There do no seem to be any dependencies necessarily that we are not getting with the new existing in the old.

3. Why is a feature like Maps or Atlas important to you and your organization? What if you didn't have this feature?

A: Mapping is one way to visually bring context to the information and status that monitoring presents. Orion Maps and Atlas both have played and will play a pivotal role, without which we might not have the same comprehensive view or context.

pastedImage_0.png

Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Thanks kingslider great feedback!  Now your image is an interesting one as this is clearly a wireless heat-map.  That functionality is not on the current road map for Orion Maps.  Curious how critical this is to you and the community and whether the wireless heat-maps are heavily leveraged across the board.  This is something that jason.carrier is very interested in. 

Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

kingslider​ Very interested indeed! Would love to jump on a call to discuss your use of the wireless heatmaps feature, and NPM's roadmap for wireless network monitoring. I'll follow up with a private message.

Highlighted
Level 9

1. Quick Maps and Loaded onto quick View. Love Maps. Just missing custom labels2019-12-19_14-15-34.jpg
  2. Are you still using features from Network Atlas that you NEED to have in Orion Maps? Custom Labeling
  3. Why is a feature like Maps or Atlas important to you and your organization? What if you didn't have this feature? Monitoring department are wanting to use a lot of NOC screens throughout the business.
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

rocco_2016​ Thanks for your input!  Quick question; Since custom labeling is important to you, can you elaborate on what ideal behaviors would be incorporated that would knock this out of the park?  What do you need to be able to do?  Is this adding more metadata under neath the entity for example?  What type of metadata are you looking to see?  What else?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Hi jblankjblank

I have recently been working around this limitation for a requirement by the business. I have a remit to be able to show Topology dashboards with the ability to easily show (label) the device type. ie Firewall, Router, Access switch etc. So when this maps are used as a NOC. It will allow support with little knowledge of networks quickly identify the device type. With the new 2019.4 version. I can add labels by the way of images as a work around. But I'm being forced to use Atlas Maps to have these device type labels.  Thanks

Highlighted
Level 11

I have tried to recreate maps in Orion Maps and have not been able to get the detail and formatting that I can get in Network Atlas.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Also I am unsure if I can display custom properties

pastedImage_2.png

I have tried to recreate some of my maps and ended up very disappointed with the results.  My biggest issue is with the ability to control the layout of the connections.

Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Great information here.  Really appreciate the feedback!  Clearly manipulating the layout of the connections is important and understood.  This is something we are working on.  Also using custom icons, adding text boxes, shapes, etc...  Are you manually labeling each of the interfaces to the short name?  Are each of these connections manually drawn, and thus don't change based on status?  Just hoping to understand more of what might be useful.  Looks like an awesome map but likely not the easiest to maintain either, correct?

Love the Table based map too - can you elaborate a bit more on what you are doing here and where you are getting the data from so I don't guess?  It looks like a break down of services and values/ status from different associated elements. 

Happy to jump on a call if its easier. 

Highlighted

It's done the same as this sample map in SAM along with custom labels which contain variables.

pastedImage_0.png

That's the beauty about Network Atlas, it's super flexible. If you are monitoring it, you can display it in map format.

0 Kudos