cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted

Re: Before the decade ends, show us your Orion Maps AND answer a few questions about them -- for 500 THWACK points!

jblankjblank​ I agree with your assessment of how triggering a lasso would be 100% fine - so long as there is a lasso button . It's really the same premise. I don't know if people complain about MS paint having a lasso, as a common application. The reason I mention the same about multiple selections is because how would I also theoretically do that if I had a disability/single hand? Same potential issue.

However, if I show anyone Orion they're going to expect click to drag as basically a standard function. Not "hold a button to do it".

People wouldn't have mentioned it in 2019.2 because new maps weren't even worth considering in 2019.2, to be frank . With 2019.4 you really brought the heat as far as bringing a lot of the features forward and now it's something people are going to look at   My argument for click to drag is the worldmap We have it there, so it's not like it's even outside of Orion functionality in other places.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Re: Before the decade ends, show us your Orion Maps AND answer a few questions about them -- for 500 THWACK points!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts designerfx​.  We always strive to think about our different users and use cases in the design of our features, and yet we cannot always win everyone over.  I can understand your opinion on the click to drag behavior, as a matter of fact, this was the way we implemented that functionality in the static sub-view maps on details pages.  In our goal to provide a web based designer we did quite a bit of research, and the current implemented functionality is no different than the likes of Visio, Lucid Chart, DrawIO, or even Adobe Photoshop and more.  So the click space bar to pan the map appeared to be fairly common functionality across many different tools.  We can certainly add some functions to make it more accessible and easier to use and have hopes to do so.  This would be a perfect opportunity for you to submit a feature request where we could track interest in making a change.  Maybe something like scroll bars around the canvas would make this easier without changing the behavior?  Again, open to feedback. 

With every release we want to make adjustments, enhance what is existing to improve usability, and also add new functionality.  It is always a game (quite frustrating at times) of balance.  Unfortunately we can't just flip a switch or get everything we wanted in each release.  The 2019.2 release was no exception.  While you found it not worth considering, many others were quite pleased to see the newly added functionality.  The Maps Team is really our own worst critic and while we would have loved to include more, we were doing something that had never been done before in a new framework by creating a new web based editor in Orion, as well as a new responsive graph widget.  With all the touch points that maps have within the platform, this was quite a monumental task which we are very proud of.  More importantly, this allows us to gather useful feedback as we continue to develop the feature, rather than just sit on some cool functionality that could be useful to some. 

We hope that the latest changes and future releases provide functionality that improve the usability of the platform and offer a critical tool for visualizing data in Orion.  We have a lot more we want to accomplish and provide to all of you to make it even better.  The 3 question in this thread is so that we can share these thoughts with the business to ensure we continue to get to do so.  Thank you. 

Highlighted
Level 13

Email sent.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Hi,

a few maps :

map4.jpg

map1.jpg

map3.jpg

2.     In Orion Maps, I'd like a similar scalability to Network Atlas. Line types - broken/angled line.
I do not need Icons, I prefer to see node status for the first look, so simple graffic is enough

Well definable dependence of maps, which did not work well in Atlas. I'd like to transfer status between nested maps only in a specified direction - for example, from a hierarchically subordinate map to a parent map, but not vice versa.

This makes it easy to trace a network fault - I simply follow the alarm "red" color from a higher-level network infrastructure map to a lower-level map (from core through distribution to access).

3.     The map is one of the most important things we use, it provides a simple insight into the topology of the network, and humanly shows the dependencies of the individual elements of the network.
The map simplifies troubleshooting, development planning, simply everything is a very,very,very important tool.

My work is basically impossible without maps.

Highlighted
Level 11

Having being told, literally this morning, that we upgarded to the latest version last night I have had a play this morning.

So, eMail has been sent with sample map, but will break out our "needs" below as well.

• Add manual bits of information associated to nodes – so i.e. ‘add label’
  • We need to be able to rename / re-label devices on the fly.
  • We need to be able to have the node names appear across several lines i.e
    This_IS_My_Device1

Could be:

• This_Is_My
    _Device1

• We need to be able to move the node name to a more visible / appropriate location for readability. As has been said above, visibility quickly becomes 'complicated' in busier maps.
  • Being able to re-edit a manual link at a later stage without having to delete and re-create to change options (e.g. change this map only to all maps)
  • Ability to edit auto-created links and remove one half or at least replace it with a manual link or edit the ingress / egress aspect as described for WAN links.
  • We need to be able to depict trunk links or multiple links between nodes as individual links and not merged down into one line. In my fiddling, Inote these are being merged down to one line and when this line is selected the map properties don't show all info expected
  • An ability to hide / remove / delete specific links
  • An ability to change the node icons to be ones of our choice – e.g. to differentiate between firewalls manufacturers
  • Provide editable Layer 2 and / or Layer 3 views so we can switch and see VLANs, traffic flow, etc
  • Ability to flex / bend / curve links around devices rather than crossing the streams.

There may be more, but these are just from a quick play this morning.

Oh and not in my eMail....

• An ability to select where the map is displayed. Cavet: this may be possible already and I haven't yet discovered how
  • Provide a library of custom shapes / images - e.g boxes, clouds, buildings, etc

These next two are odd and it might be related to my adding an image and linking to it (a la WAN connection) but I lost  the following two abilities.

• Able to edit the size of images after they've been added - again, this may be there but I can't see it.
  • Able to "send to back / send backwards" with images

Highlighted
Level 11

With regards to my last two points ...

An add in image remains editable for size and sits behind nodes until it is linked to another node. At which point it loses ability to edit size and to sit "behind" nodes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Correct - this behavior is as designed for the time being.  It will change in the future and allow you to size the object when it is connected. 

Level 8

pastedImage_0.jpg

pastedImage_2.jpg

2. I'd like to have the option to customize captions and icons. Also, connecting containers would be nice. In the above picture I would show the connections between containers and not have it be dependent on an actual interface.

In Network Atlas, we could make swql calls for captions like $[caption] and $[ip_address}.

3. Maps are critical to our operation. The ability to see how a device is connected is a great time saver. If I didn't have a map feature available, I'd go look for a product that did.

Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Awesome feedback!  I would love for you to elaborate on connecting containers.  You could potentially create a group or a dependency which could represent "member of connections" or a reliance connection.  Are these containers static or do they tend to come and go?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

The containers themselves are static. The contents can change of course but sometimes I would like to show a connection point without any interface information or statistics. Just a line connecting two points.