This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Basic Alerts don't work

Hello,

I am trying to get the alerting setup and working, but when I enable the basic alerts, they don't send the email. If I test fire the emails, they send and work fine, but if I manually pull the plug on a network device, I don't get the page.

I tested the Advanced Alerts and if I build the alerts in there, they will send, upon the device or node failing.

What am I missing here? I found one post on here from a long time ago saying the problem was because they were using a different snmp community string other than public. I am running NPM version 9.1.

• I would suggest trying several things:

1) Bring up a CMD line and attempt to Telnet to the IP using port 25. See if your mail server or relay responds. If it does;

2) Download Wireshark and run a capture while you're letting the alerts flow through (no test). See if the Exchange server is rejecting the messages for some reason.

3) Find and download a SMTP Relay (tons of 'em on the web) - put it on a basic server and point Orion at that box. See if the alerts go out at that point.

Let us know.

Philip

• Had the same problem at a client this week.  The "Time of Day" field was set "from 12:00AM to 12:00AM".  I changed it to "from 12:00AM to 11:59PM" and the alerts started working.  hope that helps.