This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Baseline Calculations

I am trying to ascertain if NPM does any actual baseline calculations. the help file suggests something but I dont think this is a metric baseline function that you could run alerts from.

Basically NPM need to be able to generate a 'baseline' of various stats (user defined would be better).. This would then allow a user to run a report against the baseline and it show a positive/negative correlation to the considered 'normal' for say that interface usage or traffic amount.

Once a baseline is stored this could then be the variable that advanced alerts used instead of hardcoded "utilization > 50%" filters that are not flexible. I would see baselines for Interface stats BPS and Utilization, but could be errors/ discards etc anyting that you need to report /alert on that is dependant on a relative variable.

I have worked with many other performance monitoring systems for SQL and Oracle and both of these allow you to define either auto and manual baseline functions or a combination of the two.

The general options would be.

Configure a baseline:

- per node, per group of nodes, type of nodes, speed of interfaces etc

- Automatic or Custom

Automatic

This a moving window that updates your alert baseline on the last 7 days of collected data.

Custom

This is a specific time range that will not change.

- Custom - Allows you to hardcode a specific time frame/ date range that you know to be a realistic baseline for all /single node.

- How to calculate your baseline (Regardles of Automatic/ Custom options) - allows you to set the days/time of week you would like your baseline to be calculated on.

Allow you to select Mon /Tues/ Weds/ Thurs/ Fri/ Sat/ sun

Allow you to select Start Time / End Time

...anyone else or is this just me????