This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Bandwidth Usage and Status in Maps

I know this question has been presented before, but I can't find a specific answer yet. Is there a way or any plans to add bandwidth utilization to the metrics section of an interface in maps? I have quite a few wan links that I monitor and it would be nice if I could create one map for these which would put a circuit into warning mode based on bandwidth utilization (% utilized). I'm currently putting % utilized (in and out) in the label, but a color change on the interface object would be excellent.

It's nice to be able to somewhat accomplish this on a node using response times, but using latency to alert to possible bandwidth congestion doesn't seem like a reliable way to do this.

Drew

• I think you are referring to Network Weathermap type functionality, is that correct?

• Drew,

I acomplished something like this by using 3 CP's, Normal, Warning, and High and wrote a SQL job to check the circuit utilization and populate the appropriate CP. For example, if the % was less than 70% it would put the value in the Normal CP. If it was above 90% it would put the value in the High CP otherwise it was put in the Warning CP. The SQL job also clears out the other 2 CP's so there would not be confusing data. You should only have 1 value per poll so it should only populate one CP.....

Now on the map I put 3 labels, right clicking on the node and adding a label 3 times. I then put ${Normal} in one, ${Warning} in another and ${High} in the last. I then changed the text size and colors accordingly. Finally I put them one on top of the other so that only the one that was populated would show. Now I can see on my map the % utilization and have it color coded as well.

I know, a lot of work to accomplish what should be easy but sometimes you have got to think outside the box.

Clear as mud?

• Sorry, no, just a basic network atlas map. I've created some interface objects in a map which represent the wan circuits, and the only metrics that are configurable are errors and discards. I'd love to see the ability to put an interface object into warning or critical status based on % utilization to show degradation.

Edit: Should add that these maps are nested. It would also be nice to have the child status propagate up the chain to the overview map. (i.e. Have a response time on a node propagate up to the child status of a nested map object.)

• Are you familiar Map Variables, see here.  Also, have you seen the metrics now available in maps with 9.5?

• I do currently utilize map variables in the popups and labels. Map metrics are nice if you're talking about being able to mark an upper-level map object as warning/critical based on the number of lower-level objects that are available. Possibly I'm doing something wrong, but it seems that the child status of a lower-level object does not modify an upper level object's child status in nested maps.

Do the map-object metrics use the child status of the associated map into it's calculations, or just the status of the lower-level objects? (up, down, or unknown)?

• Its hard to believe that this functionality doesnt exist in SW. Having links change color on a map according to utilization is about 15 years old in other products. I think mapping is the only disapointment I have with this product.