This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Bad Trap Packet Received

Anyone had this issue before and if so, how was it solved?  My issue is similar to the one in this thread but the thread is old and no one has responded back to me.

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/274824#274824

The difference is  my nodes (all firewalls) are polling with ICMP only.  I also notice that any node polling at ICMP only will come up as "Unknown" whether it's a firewall or PC.  I'm thinking the firewall is sending a trap by default but why would that be if the polling is ICMP?  Also, I did not configure the firewalls so traps may have been configured on these devices but again, why is Solarwinds picking these up when I'm only asking it to poll by ICMP?  Any input resolving this issue will be greatly appreciated.

• Hello, that the node is polling icmp is exactly what's at issue, most likely.  Remember that traps get sent no matter what polling method is selected.  We will accept traps from versions one and two of snmp even if a node isn't being monitored at all, because the community info is cleartext.  If the device is snmpv3, though, we won't be able to decode the data because it is encrypted; ergo those nodes have to be monitored in Orion as SNMPv3 nodes so Orion has credentials it can use to decode the v3 packet.

Does the device really need to be sending traps to the Orion server at all?  If it does, then you have to monitor it if it must be using snmpv3.  If not, edit the device config and stop sending traps to the orion server.