This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Backup BRI Circuits

I have at every location backup BRI circuits for failover in case of T circuit outage.

I haven't started to monitor these as they always appear to be down (hopefully!!)

Is there a way to monitor these so they don't impact "uptime" stats yet tell me what their utilization is while they are up?

THanks in advance.
-Chris

Chris
  • I want to be the first to second that request!!!

This is something we've been hoping for since we started with version 5 a year and a half ago. Any kind of query you use to check uptime in your reports should be able to filter out the ISDN circuits pretty easily.

In my opinion the larger issue is that as soon as you begin to monitor them the node status goes to Up-Down and shows up on the website with a big red flashing dot in the corner. Then it looks like every node with a BRI has a problem. I would think that all that needs to be done on Solarwinds part is to allow us to flag an interface as backup with a checkbox, then either reverse that interface's state or ignore it when computing a node's status for display on the website. It seems pretty simple to me and I don't think there's a NM tool out there right now which does this, correct me if I'm wrong, so it would set Solarwinds apart from the rest of the pack.
  • Have a look at this thread:

www2.solarwinds.net/.../topic.asp

Base your uptime statistics on the loopback availability.....
    Unfortunately you will always have the backup links showing red in Orion, however using
    the Custom Property editor and the Node Grouping feature, you could reduce this to just one group showing up as red. If the group changes to green, then you know one of your backup interfaces is now up.

-=Cheers=-
    NG