This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Availability report, not adding up

Hello,

I created a custom availability report that was just a modified version of the current "Group Availability (with members) - This Year" report.  The only thing I changed was that I dropped the up/down status and added Group_Member_Availability.  However, one discrepancy that I am seeing is that in some areas the group availability will show up as 99%, however the group members are all at 100%.  How can the entire group have a lower availability then the average of all the members in that group?

BadMath.png

GroupAvailability.png

• That's a good question, to which I have no answer, only ideas:

• Is the report somehow displaying the actual up time instead of solely using the "Average" function?
    • Were all nodes within the groups actually up 100%?  If not, I'd suspect the report is somehow including that information in the average, which is drawing the stats down from 100% to 99%.
  • I'm pretty sure the switches have gone down at least once this year for maintenance, but I don't think that they would have been down long enough to drop the availability of the group by an entire 1 percent over the year.  It's just odd that the members report 100% available when the group they fall under does not.  I'm still new to the SQL game (Sorry I'm a network admin by trade), so I could potentially be querying something incorrectly, which is what I'm hoping to find out here.

• One other question I had, what a formatting question.  Is there any way to have the report show the availability of each group and group member averaging over the year?  The current report seems to break it down by each month of the year, which makes the report much longer than it really needs to be.  I just want it to do the following:

GroupName                     Avg availability for the year

group member                         ||

group member                         ||

GroupName                              ||

group member                          ||

etc...

• There are some other great pre-canned Availability Reports already available; have you investigated all of them?  You can copy them as templates, or modify them per your specific needs, similar to how you've already built your current report.  With some luck you'll find exactly what's causing your current report to who 99% instead of 100%.

Just open All Reports and search for "availability".

pastedImage_0.png

On the other hand, if one device in your group was down for a detectable amount during the time measured, Orion can't truthfully say the group was up 100% of the time.  Might the issue come from a reporting "feature" that has detected some small down time?  One wouldn't think so, since other sections reveal your groups up time to be 100%.

I'd like to learn what's causing your "99%" report.

• I've already checked all of them out.  My boss wants the report to specifically show the group percentage as well as the group member percentage of up time accurately.

• Are all of the things that were once members of the group currently members of the group?

I believe the group availability accrues over time, so if you remove a device from a group (or from Orion) it doesn't count for future availability, but its effects on group availability are persistent.

(and without a proper reporting database that maintains historical data it's really hard to tell if someone removed the member of a group -- I think there is an idea for this)