This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Automatically exporting reports to CSV files through Report Writer

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to set up something to automatically export CSV files through the Report writer.

Thank you in advance for any advice you have.

Regards,

-Dustin

• When/how do you want to get this CSV output?

If you want it ad-hoc, as in "I click the report in the Solarwinds portal and I get CSV instead of on-screen data", then you can add "&dataformat=excel" to the end of the report URL,

If you want the CSV delivered to you via email (a la the report scheduler) then the only way I've found is to mimic the SQL and set up a scheduled job to email you straight from the database itself (ie: set it up in SQL Management Studio).

• I tried adding the "&dataformat=excel" to the URL but it is not working for me.

Now when I get the emails everything is blank and at the bottom it says Enable Javascript to login.

Do you have any idea's on how to get around this?

• Have you tired '&dataformat=xls" ?

The list of usable formats I have are:

txt

xls

csv

jpg

raw

xml

Know of any others?

• Thanks for the tips.

Now I am having a different issue. When I run the report they continually say at the bottom " Enable Javascript to login"

I have went through IE and tried turning on every setting I could think of but I keep getting that message.

Anyone have Idea's on how to fix that?

Thanks again,

-Dustin

• Have you tried the following to enable jave in IE?

1. On web browser menu click "Tools" menu and select "Internet Options".
    2. In the "Internet Options" window select the "Security" tab.
    3. On the "Security" tab click on the "Custom level..." button.
    4. When the "Security Settings - Internet Zone" dialog window opens, look for the "Scripting" section.
    5. In the "Active Scripting" item select "Enable".
    6. When the "Warning!" window pops out asking "Are you sure you want to change the settings for this zone?" select "Yes".
    7. In the "Internet Options" window click on the "OK" button to close it.
    8. Click on the "Refresh" button of the web browser to refresh the page.
  • Hi dkeyser,

I have tried what you suggested and I get the same thing.

When I browse to our solarwinds page in IE I am able to get there fine and see everything.

It is just when I run the reports that is says enable javascript to login.

Thanks again for your help emoticons_happy.png

• I'm unable to reproduce any results like the ones you've mentioned. It sounds like your browser is having trouble opening the webpage. Are you sending the login credentials using the report writer? pastedImage_0.png

Maybe try clearing cookies and cache to see if something was stuck.

• Hmm, I made a new report and instead of using a service account we created I ran the report using my AD credentials and it worked emoticons_happy.png

Now, I have another issue with the reports.

When I look at the reports on the web I only get 5 or 6 lines, but when I execute the query in the report writer I get about 2000 lines.

Do you know why that is?

Thanks again for all your help emoticons_happy.png

• What format are you sending the report?

• I have tried sending it as a csv file and as an xls file.

When I put the &dataformat=xls or &dataformat=csv at the end of the URL the report will not email out.

If I take those things off the end of the URL the report will send but I only get 5 or 6 lines.

Thank you,

-Dustin