cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Auto Re-Manage based on either a Syslog or SNMP Trap

Is there a way to have NPM automaticaly put a device (like a switch) back into a managed state when a device comes back online?

Example:

I have a few switches at a remote location (Generator power only), and when they close down for the weekend, we Unmanage the devices. I would like NPM to start monitoring them when the switch starts reporting data onto the network, Syslog, SNMP Traps, or sFlow.

Ed

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Level 11

I am unsure whether that is possible or not. With it being a set schedule like that it seems you could just get by with a scheduled discovery of all the node IP addresses at that remote site. Also you can use the Unmanage Task Editor utility. Have you tried this?

0 Kudos

I have tried those utilities, but thats through the backend, not the most friendly for my other Network Engineers. I was also thinking about switches that we deploy. We put them into maintenance, and It would be nice if they would automatically be managed when they come online.

Ed

0 Kudos

But yes, that would be nice.

0 Kudos

Well you can always do a scheduled rediscovery of the management subnet.

0 Kudos

True, but that wouldn't automatically remanage without intervention.

0 Kudos

you could set the task up through the normal schedule, but have the syslog or snmp task run the command "schtasks /run /TN <REMANAGETASKNAME>"

0 Kudos