This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Ascending Order of Temp Status

Here is a head scratcher.  So I have a report that lists all of our Routers Ambient Chasis Temps in Fahrenhiet (sp?).   I dislpay this report on the top ten web page and I have it is ascending order. (highest temp first.)

Works great except that Orion reads 100 as being lower than 99.  So my report will look something like this:

Router 1 - 99

Router 2 - 97

Router 3 - 97

Router 4 - 103

Not such a big deal, but I am only showing the top 10.  So if I have 10 routers in the 99 - 90 degree range and 5 routers over 100 degrees, the 5 routers over 100 wont display. 
As a fall back, I have alerts set up to fire off once a router hits 107 degrees, but it would be nice if they displayed properly in the report.

Any ideas?

• Assuming that we are talking about the UnDP top XX resource, I have actually seen this problem too. The sorting problem exists for single and double digit numbers, much like the example above with double and triple digit numbers. Solarwinds, do you already have this bug in your database?

• Does anyone at SolarWinds know if this is going to be addressed in future releases?  As it is now, any top ten resource that may have single to double digit values, or double and triple digit values, is pretty much worthless.  If I have a router running at 109 degrees F, I would want that to be listed before my routers that are running between 85 - 99 degrees.  I guess I could always list in descending order, then my 107 would show on top since SW reads 107 as lower that 99.

• While I agree that this is a bug, what about doing a transformation to Celsius? At least this should give lower two digit numbers and provide a quick work-around.

Alternatively, (assuming this is a Cisco device) you could do what we do and use monitor the ciscoEnvMonTemperatureTable (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3) with the State table value (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.6). This returns six state levels (i.e. normal, warning, critical, shutdown, notPresent, notFunctioning) depending on the device threshold level (most devices have different threshold levels).

This makes it much easier to define a single temperature alert for all devices. We use ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusDescr (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.2) for the label.

Details on this table can be found here  

Sav.

• I have also uploaded the temperature universal poller that we use into the content sharing zone if that helps.

Sav.

• Sav,

I appreciate your suggestions and have been thinking of switching over to a table.  However, the upper level mnmgt would really like a Fahrenhiet (sp?) display of the ambient chasis temp on the routers. 

Here's to hoping SolarWinds will atleast acknowledge this "bug" (I dont know if its a bug as much as it is bad programming) and possibly address it in a hot fix or future release.  I wont be holding my breathe though, seeing how no SW staff have replied to this thread.

Thanks SAV