cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lynchnigel
Level 12

Re: Anyone ever have trouble with NPM not monitoring itself well?

Obviously you would have to marry that up with the custompoller name which 'I think' this will help

SELECT CustomPollerID, UniqueName, Description, OID, MIB, SNMPGetType, NetObjectPrefix, GroupName, PollerType, CustomPollerParserID, Format, Enabled, IncludeHistoricStatistics, Unit, TimeUnitID, TimeUnitQuantity, DefaultDisplayTimeUnitID, LastChange, PollInterval, ColumnNumber

FROM Orion.NPM.CustomPollers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
humejo
Level 12

Yeah, I wish it did this out of the box, but it isn't super hard to do.  Check out these posts for a few different methods on how to report on nodes that are no longer responding to SNMP:

Alert on Nodes that stopped responding to SNMP

Noes not responding to SNMP or WMI

Another way to go about this is changing all of your snmp nodes to base their status upon SNMP (the default is ICMP). Just go into Manage Pollers (Settings > Manage Pollers), choose "Status & Response Time SNMP" and click "Assign" at the top, Group by "Polling Method" on the left-hand side, select "SNMP", select all of the nodes  and click "Enable Poller".  This will cause Orion to base the Up/Down status of nodes on their responding to SNMP.  This means that if a node goes "Down" then it could be because it doesn't respond to ping, or it could just be that the node isn't responding to SNMP.

I would recommend creating a report like in the posts above, since basing status on SNMP has a few downsides.  One, is that you won't know why a node is down until you investigate it (is it Ping or just SNMP communication?).  Another is that SNMP queries take a bit longer to respond than a ping request.  Not a big deal on a per Node basis, but multiply that by all of your SNMP nodes and you can end up adding a significant amount of time to your overall polling cycle, possibly resulting in sub-100% Polling Completion.

xpowels
Level 11

Excellent answers.  Some are a bit specific to devices that have CPUs, but the more generic ones worked for me.  Also, Tech Support finally sent be a report that will show every single object that is not responding:

On web reports:

1. Create a new report
2. Select custom table
3. On the Selection method drop down menu > Choose > Advanced Database Query > Query type SQL.

Use this custom script:

SELECT DISTINCT n.Caption, cpa.AssignmentName, DATEADD(mi, DATEDIFF(mi, GETUTCDATE(), GETDATE()), cps.DateTime) LastPolled FROM CustomPollerStatus cps JOIN CustomPollerAssignment cpa ON (cps.CustomPollerAssignmentID=cpa.CustomPollerAssignmentID) JOIN Nodes n ON (n.NodeID=cpa.NodeID) WHERE cps.DateTime <DATEADD(hh,-24,GETUTCDATE()) ORDER BY 1,2,3

4. Click on preview results and add to layout.
5. After adding to layout click on Add column and select all objects

-AssignmentName
-Caption
-LastPolled

6. Click on Submit

Works perfectly!

0 Kudos
humejo
Level 12

Yes, that will work, but keep in mind that will only show you nodes that have custom pollers assigned to them.  If all of your nodes have a custom poller assigned, then good, otherwise, you'll want something a bit more comprehensive.  I have a SWQL query (I'm surprised support told you to use SQL when SWQL is really the way you should go since any major schema change they make could potentially break custom SQL reports you have) that will tell you when any SNMP node has not had a successful uptime poll in the last X amount of minutes (I use 60 minutes, but you could change it to whatever time frame you want).  I don't have it available to me right now, but I will add it to this response as soon as I do. 

0 Kudos