This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Allowing 64 bit Counters

Recently we have had to enable 64 bit counters on several of our Nodes.  The problem were were seeing was the graphs (and corresponding data) were reporting incorrectly.  The good news is that since enabling the counters, the issue has been resolved.  The bad news is we have to enable this on several devices now.  The most common thing seems to be the need to do this on any node that has interfaces over 100Mbps.  

A couple of questions I have regarding this:

1) Should we just enable this for all devices going forward?  Is there a negative impact on NPM performance, etc.?

2) If enabling for all devices that are currently monitored in NPM, is there a way to mass update this parameter?

• vandewjj,

I'm not sure if there would be an increased load on NPM or not.  I would tend to think so, but I'm sure someone from SW can verify if that's true.

I'm pretty sure you could do a mass update for 64 bit counts by running a sql script to updated the nodes table. 

UPDATE dbo.Nodes

SET Allow64BitCounters = 'True'

You could add a WHERE clause at the end to equal a custom property if you don't want to enable it for everything in inventory. 

If there's a way to do it from the admin web console, I don't know where it is.

Hope this helps!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to kweise

I was wondering the same thing.  I've been enabling 64bit counters by default.  Any reason I shouldn't be doing that?

• I would love to see the answer to this one from SW too, I have always wondered about it.

• I was having the same problem on a few POS OC-3 interfaces.  The official answer I got from SW was to enable 64 bit counters.  That did fix my issue as well. I'll let someone from SW jump in, but the support resource I worked with did not recommend enabling 64 bit counters across all nodes (I asked the question).

Has anyone noticed this as an issue with Gig-E or TenGig interfaces?

• Some device types do not support 64 bit counters.

SNMP stats stop collecting when 64 bit counters are enabled.
    I have not run into any Cisco devices that do not support 64 bit counters.

• We have seen an occurence last week where a customers Gb link counters rolled over between polling cycles giving wrong calculation. Counter Rollover is starting to be seen with Customers with Larger Servers and Networking Devices with High Traffic Utilization.

32 Bit counter Max is 2^32-1 or 4294967295

Best Practice: If your device has the following, use 64 bit counters

- 4GB of RAM or Larger

- 1 Gb connection or Larger

- When your Device's Counters hit 4294967295 within 60 minutes regularly

For Calculation Methods, see Karlo's Answer Here

• Thanks Sean for posting response. As this has been an issue for us as well. Your detailed best practice list is very helpful.

• Can someone from SW please verify if this (SNMP stats stop collecting if 64 bit counters are enabled on a device which doesn't support) is true ?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to epenney

Thanks for all the replies.  Since almost every device I have has a 1GB link, I'm enabling 64bit counters everywhere.  Seems like most devices that would be true on.

But I too am curious what would happen if the device doesn't support 64bit.

Seems like this should be on by default, and fail back to 32bit if it doesn't support it

• Is there a way of enabling 64 bit support by default? That is when I add a device to have this field set to YES instead

of mine manually checking this off?

thanks