This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerts for Group Members

I am trying to setup alerts for the groups which will send email alerts everytime  group members CPU, memory or Disk utilization goes high. I know how to setup alerts by "Node - Instance- Is - Object" which will trigger alerts when the nodes match. But i don't want to add members individually, rather i want to point at a group and then everytime a member has High CPU/ Memory utilization or low disk space it should send an email alert.

Can anyone help me as i am not an expert in solarwinds. I have more than 200 groups of servers and creating alerts for a bunch of servers for cpu/memory utilization and then later if i add more members in a particular group i will have to go to each alert and add those new group again. Is there a simpler way i can manage alerts for groups or SQL query that i can run for it.

• Hi Max348

This can be achieved by using custom properties at the node level. This same feature can be used to create a dynamic query for the group membership.

1. Go to settings -> Manage Custom Properties.

2. Create a node based Custom Property called something like server_group

3. Assign a value to each node such as "Group A", "Group B" etc (this can be done later from Settings- > Manage Custom Properties -> View / Edit Values

4. Create your alert such as "Alert me when CPU is high on server group A" using the custom property so that the trigger condition includes the custom property you created.

5. You can now create a group using a dynamic query using the same custom property for the group members.

Create a custom property

Build Dynamic Query

• 1.Create a new custom attribute - Like say for example - 'OwnerEmail' use Custom attribute editor and update this field with the details you want 'say for Group 1 - you have to send an email alert to abc@xyz.com set OwnerEmail to abc@xyz.com for all nodes under Group1 followed by other groups in a similar fashion'

2. This is one time activity that you have to perform for now - going ahead when you onboard the device you can update this attribute accordingly when you are adding the node.

3. In Your Alert Under 'Trigger Actions Tab -> Send an Email -> Recipients To: ${Node.OwnerEmail}' use the custom attribute that you just created in To field and its done.

tony.johnson​ has already provided complete info regarding the same, hope it helps

• Hi Vinay

Do i have create custom attributes from the "Manage Custom Properties". Can you please explain in detail steps how i can do it. And also will this help me create email alerts for the group of users rather than adding each user email individually.