This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerts don't start if node goes down before custom alert time

FormerMember
FormerMember

I have an alert for a node going down that is set to alert me between 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM. This morning, nodes went down at 2:30 AM, but didn't come back up until 7:00 AM. Is there a way to configure the alerts so that in this situation I would have received an alert at 6:00 AM?

• Hi

Without seeing exaclty how you configured your alarm, I am making an assumption here.

I'm assuming that your alarm is configured for a status change between 6 AM and 6 PM.  What I would recommend you do is make an alarm that runs once at 6AM to let you know if the status is down.  If it is, the alarm alerts you, if it's up, then your status change alarm is good from now on.

Just thinking.... :-)

• This should work for you. It works for me. You should've got an email at 6am stating the node was down. I did a test where I copied my node down alert and changed the alert time frame. So when I turned my node off, I received an email from my normal down node alert. Then when my test alert started, I got another email stating the node was down. The only difference is that now the node down alert says that the node went down at the start time of my test alert, not the actual time it really went down.

So you must have an issue elsewhere. What version of NPM are you using? What does your trigger look like? Does the alerting work fine during 6am-6pm? Maybe the node that went down, may not normally trigger this alert?

• It sounds like your Alert time of the day is 24 x 7 but you email alert action Time of Day is 6AM to 6PM. You may want to change the Alert time of the day alone to 6AM to 6PM and don't set any specific time of day for the email alert action. This will notify of devices that are detected as down or come back up between 6AM and 6PM.  As superfly99 suggested, you may want to copy the default node down alert and leave the 'log to netperfmon' actions so that you know when devices go up or down in the historical Events but remove the email action for the out of the box alert.

• I'm going to wait for a further response from rtobyr at this point. I reread his post and I'm no longer sure what his objective or problem is.

By the sounds of it I would say  HolyGuacamole  has hit the nail on the head. I would image that your alert is, infact triggering at 2:30am however, your trigger action is restrained to occurring between 6:00am and 6:00pm.

I you want an alert that is going to trigger strictly between 0600 - 1800 AND you want it to trigger AT 0600 for any true statuses then, you want to use this time of day:

And not this time of day:

• This needs further information.

If you use your trigger like this

Capture.JPG

and

Capture.JPG

then say if a device goes down at 5am, you will get an email at 6am stating this device is down. But the email message will say that the device went down at 6am.

Or you can do your alert this way

Capture.JPG

and

Capture.JPG

In this scenario you will still get the email at 6am and it will still state the down time as 6am but in the Active Alerts window, you will see the actual time that the node went down. (I only have the email action in my Trigger Action and nothing else).

Either option will work for you. So if these 2 options don't work for you, then there's an issue elsewhere.

• Edit - ignore this, derp moment. Previous times I have set this up, set up acknowledgements to stop the subsequent messages.
    In your latter scenario, if a device goes down at 4 AM the alert will fire and be active but he won't get any email at all (even when 6 AM rolls around). At 6 AM, the alert is already active for the node so it shouldn't send the email.

• Steven Carlson wrote:

In your latter scenario, if a device goes down at 4 AM the alert will fire and be active but he won't get any email at all (even when 6 AM rolls around). At 6 AM, the alert is already active for the node so it shouldn't send the email.

That is not correct. I tested both method and what I've written is what occurred. He will get an email, I did.