cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

Alerts are triggered but no email sent.

Me and solarwinds have been going back and forth for three days on this, but no success.

The fixes were as follows:

- change an email address on the alerting (this did not work)

- add more spec to the machine (this also did not work)

As the titles states, sometimes a node triggers an alert, but no email is sent out.  It doesn't do it every time, just sometimes.  I don't think this is an issue with how the emails are being sent, or, what resources the server has, I think there is a problem and simply, things that have been tried are not working.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue and if so, could you please help me find a solution.

0 Kudos
11 Replies

Is there any device like a firewall between the Solarwinds and SMTP server?

And does this happen to random nodes or the same ones each time?

0 Kudos
Level 12

Are you able to open one of the alert pages for an instance of that problem? ie - https://solarwinds/Orion/NetPerfMon/ActiveAlertDetails.aspx?NetObject=AAT:{SomeIDNumberHere}

You should be able to see the status of the email trigger on there.

Weird problem, cant say I've had an issue with it that i've noticed.

0 Kudos
Level 13

As an added note - the alerts are being triggered on the front end, but not on the back end, as in the solarwinds database are not seeing it on the SQL side. 

0 Kudos
Level 16

are u seeing any events getting logged for success or failure for email action? Usually for failure it does log an error in NPM event log...

And when u try to test the email action, do u get any error or it says all fine?

0 Kudos
Level 16

i was referring to failure log of email not getting sent... if thats not getting logged and you are also getting success when trying to simulate then the issue will be at the SMTP level..

there could be some rules which does not allow the emails to flow...

0 Kudos
Level 13

Yep - solarwinds picked it up on the front end, but not the back.  It didn't do it on the database.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Level 9

Had a similar issue few weeks back with node reboot alerts. Didnt find anything in logs and other alerts were running fine.

Surprisingly, issue got resolved by itself after following months server patching and reboot of application servers.

0 Kudos
Level 13

This is a new 2016 box.  It's not even that old, around two weeks old.

0 Kudos
Level 9

To be more specific you have issues with sending emails on an alert that triggers on an event, like node rebooted?

If so, it can be converted to a SQL trigger and it works fine from there.

0 Kudos
Level 13

You got the script for that?  That sounds promising.

0 Kudos
Level 9

This is what we used and you can complete it further depending on your needs.

SELECT Nodes.Caption, Nodes.NodeID FROM Nodes   -----(from selecting node for "Set up your SQL condition" in alert)

inner join Events

on Events.NetworkNode =  Nodes.NodeID

WHERE

Events.eventtype='14' and

Events.EventTime < getdate() and

Events.EventTime > dateadd(minute,-1,getdate())

0 Kudos