This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerting on vCenter Polling Status

Hi all.

I'm trying to configure alerts for the vCenter Polling Status on the Virtual Center server itself.  I know I can trigger an alert on node polling using the "(Now - last sync) in minutes" alert criteria, but that appears to be how vCenter polls the VM's on the hosts - I can't find how I can trigger an alert based on the vCenter Polling Status itself.  The key filed I am trying to monitor is the vCenter Polling Status as shown here:

vCenter_Poller.jpg

The trigger I want to implement is: If the vCenter Polling Status changes from "vCenter Polling OK" to anything else, send email / SMS / page ....

Any advice on what I need to do to get this working?  What trigger event/s should I be looking for to set up this alert?

Thanks!

• OK after finding time to have a good shot at it, got this sorted!

On the Trigger Condition, I used a Custom SQL Alert, based on the Node trigger query.  The rest of the SQL is:

join VIM_PollingTasks VMPT on VMPT.NodeID = Nodes.NodeID

where VMPT.LastPollStatusMessage is not null

If everything is going well, the LastPollStatusMessage field is empty, and it only gets populated when there is a problem.  The Trigger Action also makes use of the SQL code (as a custom variable) to send an email with the specific node name and updated status text if it changes away from null.