This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerting on Not Present Node & Interface Status variable

We frequently have a problem with missing interfaces and nodes.  Right now they still show green (which is the problem) and I believe that SolarWinds is working to resolve that in the next version but until then, I'd like to be able to alert on the nodes/interfaces in a missing status and send a report to the Administrators so they can be fixed because they cause parent maps to go yellow but when people click into them all the devices show green.

I found that I can do this with unknown devices and interfaces but not with missing devices and interfaces.  I presume I should be using the NotPresent variable on page 267 of the Orion Administrator guide but unfortunately, I can't select this option from the Node Status or Operational Status fields for Nodes & Interfaces.

Can anyone tell me how to alert on this information?  Do I need to request the NotPresent option be added to these fields?  Thanks & Happy Easter!

Rob

• Rob, will checking the Interface.Status = unknown work for you?

• Hey JP,

Unfortunately no because I can already alert on those.  We have a lot of nodes and interfaces come up missing from time to time and would like to alert when this happens.

Rob

• Rob, the following values are set when the interface is "not present" for an interface. I haven't ever seen the issue on a node, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

By 'Not present', I'm assuming that the system manager displays a "?" icon beside the interface name.  This happens to me sometimes when I change from isl to dot1q, changing from snmpv2 to snmpv3, etc.  Whatever the cause is, the interfaces become unknown.
    I haven't seen any instances where interfaces would vanish from the database unless someone went in and removed them.

AdminStatus=0
    OperStatus=0
    Status=0
    StatusLED=Unknown.gif
    AdminStatus=Unknown.gif
    Interfaceicon=53.gif
    Outbps=-2
    Inbps=-2
    OutPercentUtil=-2
    InPercentUtil=-2
    [All other interface counters are -2]

I suppose what you could do is create an advanced alert - interfaces, and check Interfaces OutBps=-2 and OperStatus=0 and AdminStatus=0 for a "missing" interface that solarwinds can no longer poll.