Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Alerting on Cisco Chassis Modules and Cisco Stack Switch UP/DOWN

Jump to solution

Hey THWACK community,

Our company has been having some struggles with alerting on individual modules/blades/stack_member UP/DOWNs. We also have been having issues with notifications on individual switch stack (i.e. Cisco 3650 stacks) and chassis blade/module (i.e. a blade in a Cisco 4500 and 6500 chassis) members not coming up with the main device after a power outage. To the NOC, the node will report back as up, but, a small part of the switch will still be degraded which can translate to a small business unit. Often, the NOC hears from the end-user that they are down which is not optimal for operations as well as leads to increased down-time for the business unit.

We are interested in companies that have been using Orion for this alerting type who would be a good resource for us to chat with.

Thanks for the help!

-Tyler

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 13

You can alert on the interface status. That is how we monitor our stacks.

pastedImage_0.png

and inside the email it will tell you what port is down

Node Name:${NodeName}

Interface:${InterfaceName}

There are also out of the box alerts for

Stack member number change

Stack data ring broken

Or you could utilize the Universal Device Poller and create a monitor starting with OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.500.1.2.1.1.6 How to monitor a Cisco Switch Stack using SNMP - NYC Networkers

Final option (That I can think of) would be to monitor snmp traps. You should get a trap message with which member has been lost.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Level 8

On switches that use Stacks:

We must monitor what Orion call StackPort#.

Then alert on the status of that interface.

(Note that some switches will show the stack interface a long with two sub-stack interface for each switch in the stack.)

On switches that use Stacks:

We must monitor what Orion call StackPort#.

Then alert on the status of that interface.

(Note that some switches will show the stack interface a long with two sub interface.)

So how this works:

If the 3 switch stack has just one uplink:

If the uplink goes down Orion will show the whole switch as down.

If switch 2 goes down then Orion will show that Stack2 interface is down.

That is what we need to alert on - Stack# is down on this stack switch.

If the 3 switch stack has two uplinks – one link to stack1 and one link to stack2.

If stack1 and stack2 go down then Orion will show the whole switch stack as down

If just one of the switches in the stack goes down then Orion will show that stack# as down

This is what we need to alert on - Stack# is down on this stacked switch.

Level 13

You can alert on the interface status. That is how we monitor our stacks.

pastedImage_0.png

and inside the email it will tell you what port is down

Node Name:${NodeName}

Interface:${InterfaceName}

There are also out of the box alerts for

Stack member number change

Stack data ring broken

Or you could utilize the Universal Device Poller and create a monitor starting with OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.500.1.2.1.1.6 How to monitor a Cisco Switch Stack using SNMP - NYC Networkers

Final option (That I can think of) would be to monitor snmp traps. You should get a trap message with which member has been lost.

View solution in original post

Level 7

Hey! Thanks man! I'm gonna try some of these out in dev and see what I can get going. Great info! Thanks!

Level 9

So did you get all the line cards and or interfaces monitored?  If so what is the method you used?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Level 13

The switch stacks should be monitored.  What version NPM are you running?

0 Kudos